Chapter 14: Just Pretend

"Bye, (l/n). I didn't get the chance to say it last time, but it was nice working with you too."

—~—

Third Person POV

'Hm...?' (y/n) drearily thought as her (e/c) eyes slowly adjusted to the dim glow of the sunset through the windows, 'Where am I...?'

Gradually straightening up, her body ached and screamed in agony due to the uncomfortable position it was left in for the past few hours. She took in her surroundings and silently cursed at herself for sleeping the whole school day and the consequences she knew will come; however, that was probably the least of her worries.

Fully standing up and stretching her tired limbs did something fall off her shoulders and land on her chair with a slight 'tak!' which scared the absolute shit out of her.

"Eh?!" She sounded in terror and instantly turned around to find what made the noise. Her gaze peered down at the dark-colored jacket and she tilted her head in bewilderment before coming to the realization that it was probably her classmate's that woke her up after class, "Wahh... how nice of them. I should thank them tomorrow—"

Looking for a tag to maybe find a name attached to it, (y/n)'s eyes widened considerably and she almost couldn't believe what she read.

'Haitani'

"W...What...?" The (y/h) teen murmured and gawked at the red ink scribbled on the article tag, "Rindo was here? Or was it Ran? That doesn't make sense, we barely even knew each other... So that means..."

(Y/n) didn't even think— she flung her bag over her shoulder and bolted out of the classroom. He was right there and she wasn't able to talk to him like she wanted to.

'Damn you, Haitani,' the (h/c)-haired female thought and sprinted down the halls with the jacket hugged tightly in her arms. She was lucky that it was so late in the day that most clubs were gone by now but even if they weren't, she couldn't care less, 'How could you have the last word and I didn't even know it?'

An emerging smile formed on her lips that then bursted out into a joyous laugh. This gave her hope that maybe she could see his annoying face and endure all his irksome antics and experience that sort of relationship again. It wasn't the friendship she sought but— as unfortunate as it was— Rindo was considered somebody close and she didn't want to lose him like she did.

(Y/n) could see the doors. They were so close, and yet, something made her stop in her tracks. Were those whispers?

She slightly shivered thinking the school was haunted, but she strained her ears and her attention lead to a slightly ajar door leading to the rooftop of the school. Oh... there were people up there. Normally, (y/n) would have gone about her business and ignored them, but she didn't rule out the possibility that it could be Rindo and some of his friends.

With that, the female quietly ascended her way up the stairs and a cluster of voices were increasingly becoming louder and louder. She recognized both male and female tones and they were... arguing?

"Niki nii-san, you fucking lied to me!" The female voice fiercely shouted, "You told me that she would be there but she didn't even show up! I even got Izumi and Kano to join but all we did was talk about the school festival and it was fucking boring as hell."

'Wait... I know that voice...' (y/n) thought and racked her brain to find out why, 'Mina...?'

"Don't shout, Mina. People might hear you," an unfamiliar male voice responded in a calm manner and (y/n) tilted her head.