Chapter 9: Car's Outside

"Thanks, Haitani. You're only gonna hear this once... Thank you for protecting me."

—~—

Third Person POV

Everyone noticed it. The sudden change of attitude that the squabbling duo had a couple of days ago. Don't get me wrong, (y/n) and Rindo still hate each other and fight every single second they meet; however, there's a certain kind of... respect that suddenly emerged.

Ever since the encounter with the gang Red Bullet, Rindo had to admit that he didn't think (y/n) had the guts to continue her end of the agreement. He was expecting her to give up and that would've been more relieving to him that no one is involved with the whole situation and yet... she didn't. Not only did she complete some portion of her end, she also managed to be clever when talking to that captain— to which, he already forgot the name of— and made quite a show just to help him out. For the past month, he was finally getting somewhere with his investigation.

As for (y/n), she had to give some credit for him being somewhat of a decent human being, and she didn't think he was capable to do. She really thought he was going to back out on his promise to protect her like he suggested and was glad to find that he actually came to her aid. If that wasn't enough of a sign of respect, her thanks to him was a hundred percent genuine and proved as so.

However...

"Haitani, give me back my phone, you dipshit!"

"Your contacts only have three people? And two of them are your parents?"

"You—" (y/n)'s cheeks heated in anger before she paused and took a deep breath to compose herself. She caught too much attention already...

It wasn't too early in the morning, but running through the halls and screaming at the top of her lungs did bring some heads poking out of classroom doors. After entering her homeroom thirty minutes early, her focus shifted when Rindo followed a couple of minutes after. She thought that he had more information on the gang, Shibuya Shadow, and she would have to complete her promise again; however, she was left in shock when he grabbed her phone and sprinted off.

"Hand it over," the (y/h) student held her hand out as the taller boy pressed some buttons on her flip phone. They somehow ended up circling back around and she managed to corner him outside of her homeroom.

"Hold on, I'm still scrolling," Rindo held out an open hand at her as if to say 'wait'.

"Ever heard of privacy?" She sneered and forcefully snatched back the device from him, "What are you even looking for in my phone?Did you delete something?"

Releasing a sigh, she diverted her attention back to her phone to find anything different, but was met with another name in her contact screen. The words 'Haitani Rindo' were displayed clearly and her eyebrows knitted together at the sight. The (h/c)-haired female tilted her head in confusion before looking back up and holding the screen at the blonde.

"What's this?"

"My phone number, dumbass."

"Yeah, no shit," (y/n) deadpanned and hovered her thumb towards a button to delete the newly added information, "Why did you add your number on my phone, Haitani?"

"It would be easier for me to contact you if I find more people that you need to talk with," he replied and stuffed his hands in the pockets of his jacket, "I'll probably tell you to meet me at those locations rather than us meeting outside your class after school."

"Hahh... I see," she let out a defeated exhale and crossed her arms, "Which, by the way, do you need my help any time soon?"

"Lucky for you, I haven't found this supposed 'Shibuya Shadow' gang and I'm starting to think that that Red Bullet captain was lying to me," the tall delinquent clicked his tongue in irritation, "And if I do find them, I'll see if I can talk to them first since I have a feeling that they heard of our ambush with Red Bullet. There's not much of a point keeping up with your act if they did."