Chapter 27: As it Was

"Oi! If I see anyone messing with my girlfriend, you better be prepared messing with me too."

—~—

Third Person POV

"This is what I was hoping to avoid."

(Y/n) groaned as she walked down the hallway— multiple curious stares and unintelligible whispers revolved around her. To be fair, who wouldn't be annoyed that the entire school was watching as if you were an exotic animal from a zoo exhibit? She didn't know if she should be offended that they were looking in awe or in pity.

"If you start barking like a rabid dog, they'll think you're even crazier and leave us alone," the violet-eyed male dismissively said but she picked up the jeering tone behind it.

"Rindo!"

This was what she was kinda expecting. However, what she didn't expect was the conflict between wanting to see the girl that was bold enough to catch Haitani Rindo's attention, and also being too scared to get near her because of Haitani Rindo's attention. Each step forward resulted in the crowd taking two steps back— close enough to see the gossip but far enough away to sprint, if need be.

The two weren't even doing anything outrageous or anything overly affectionate. Hell, they weren't even holding hands or touching or whatever couples do! (Y/n) and Rindo were literally walking side-by-side to get from her club room to her homeroom like they always do before class starts.

"You think this is going to last long?" The (y/h) teen sweat-dropped whilst the boy next to her simply shrugged with his hands stuffed in his hoodie pockets.

"Who knows," he casually replied. She assumed that her boyfriend was used to this type of attention in the delinquent world, so this was nothing new to him, "Want me to get rid of them?"

(Y/n) narrowed her eyes in suspicion and rose a cautious brow, "And how are you going to do that?"

"Simple," the tall male smirked and she knew she regretted asking as soon as the look of mischief flashed in his violet hues.

"Wait—"

"EVERYONE, SCRAM!"

And just like that, the crowd fled the scene like a pack of rats, tripping over others as they desperately entered their own classrooms. Rindo heartily laughed at the scene whilst (y/n) facepalmed at his antics.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the time where everyone ignored me for picking a fight with you," the (h/c)-haired female sighed in exasperation. The young Haitani hummed and sent an apologetic glance her way.

"Sorry," he uttered flatly. He fished one hand out of his pocket to hold her hand as if he was trying to apologize, and she turned her head to face him.

"For what?"

"For breaking your request so early on... I was jea—" Rindo stopped, blinked, and quickly recomposed himself like nothing happened, "I was being selfish again. Now you have to deal with stuff like this."

"This was to be expected. What am I supposed to do dating somebody with such a notorious reputation?" (y/n) airily laughed and Rindo's features relaxed ever-so slightly, "Although, were you about to say that you were... jealous—?"

"Hah? I think I need to bring you to the doctor because you're starting to hear things, (l/n)," he said and leaned to her side— lightly nudging into her and bumping her away.

"Damn, I suddenly lost my first name privileges because you're too prideful to admit it," she playfully retorted and chuckled into her free hand, "Didn't think you were this childish. Then again, you've always been petty. For a delinquent, I didn't expect you to steal my seat as revenge, Haitani."