Chapter 8: Meddle About

"I want to help them overthrow the Haitani brothers in any way I can."

—~—

Third Person POV

'Is that seriously the best thing you can come up with?'

(Y/n) trembled in despair and didn't know how she was pulling off such a facade. Even though what she said was true, she'll be in so much trouble if Rindo were to somehow hear her insolent words of betraying the contract.

"Well, isn't that interesting," Ryota mused and (y/n) remained calm as best as she could, despite the feeling of her heart beating out of her chest, "Why would you want that?"

"Haitani Rindo," she simply stated and her gaze genuinely hardened to one of dislike, "He's such a pain in the ass ever since he entered my life and I want him out. I had to deal with his bullshit for the past month and I hate it."

'So this is the route she's taking?' Rindo thought as he crossed his arms and leaned on a nearby lamppost.

The tall blonde was able to stealthily advance closer to (y/n) and the captain, and it was much easier to do so when said female created enough of a distraction where no one were paying attention to their surroundings. If anything, he could stand right in the middle of the chaos since everyone was more focused on why a high school student had any business with gangs— much less, the Haitani's, of all people.

"And why would a puny high school girl have any business with the Haitani brothers? Did you get caught up into some shit with them and was hoping that a gang can help you out?" The leader of the Red Bullet indicted, threw away the cigarette from his mouth, and stomped out the remaining flames, "Sorry, sweetheart, but tough shit, you're out of luck. Don't think you're all high and mighty to just ask favors from us."

"Why? Are you the people I'm searching for, after all?" (Y/n) asked and now it was her turn to raise an accusatory brow, "As far as I recall, I'm not looking for you to 'protect me' or 'attack the Haitani brothers' in my stead... My question was... Do you know who are after them?"

She didn't know what came over her but she somehow managed to narrow her (e/c) eyes at the towering male, and he equally returned the glare. Now, she definitely cannot back out even if she wanted to.

'Ah, there it is,' the violet-eyed boy was pleased observing the whole scene unfold before him, 'I was wondering when her smart mouth was gonna start running.'

At where he stood, Rindo couldn't help but smirk. It was one thing if she were to have the same attitude with him and yet, it's oddly more enjoyable to watch when it's directed at somebody else. Hmm, if she wasn't so blatantly trying to piss him off, maybe they could've been friends and wreak havoc together with him and Ran.

"I'm going to take your silence as a 'yes' if you don't answer—"

"Who are you to threaten us, girly?" Ryota raised his voice and the (h/c)-haired teen didn't even flinch, but that was probably due to the adrenaline making her think she's stronger than she is.

"Threat?" One corner of her lips curled upwards, "I'm just playing my cards where I want to."

'The hell did that come from?' (Y/n) thought in absolute astonishment— her heart screaming at her brain to stop digging a bigger hole for her grave, 'Am I always subconsciously this fearless?!'

Ryota was quiet for a few seconds as if he were pondering over something before grinning widely. The other people in the gang who saw the instant change in mood stiffened in place and (y/n) wondered why everyone tensed all of the sudden.