Chapter 23: Those Eyes

"You're so annoying... I like you too, (l/n) (y/n)."

—~—

Third Person POV

"We'll talk after you're discharged from the hospital."

Was all she said when Rindo woke up. Or at least, that was all Rindo could focus on.

The younger Haitani spent the first two days in the hospital asleep and on the third day, he briefly woke up before heading back to his peaceful slumber. Which, by the way, absolutely terrified (y/n)— and not admittedly, Ran— when the blonde boy wasn't waking up from his anesthetics, but the doctor had to assure them that his body was just recovering from shock. You can imagine how the two screamed when Rindo opened his eyes only to close them again because 'it's too noisy' he said, and didn't wake up after that.

But currently, it was the fifth day in his stay and the doctor explained that he should spend at least a week in the hospital before he can tend to himself. And being the younger-brother-who-got-everything-he-wanted, that he was... Rindo was starting to get impatient that him and (y/n) aren't officially a couple yet. At least, to his standards. He wanted the title— to know where they stood— but all he received was an 'I don't know'.

"Hm? What are you doing here?" Rindo questioned as a certain (h/c)-nette that he was just thinking about entered the room with a plastic bag full of snacks.

(Y/n) chuckled and softly closed the door behind her, "Well damn, nice to know my presence is not wanted."

"No, it's not that," he shook his head and stared at her quizzically, "Isn't it still a weekday? Don't you have club?"

"It's fine. Not like I could do anything," she sent a small smile and raised her right hand— showing bandages and a small wrist guard over it— and he frowned, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm in pain, but that's okay," he shrugged until his violet eyes widened into what looked like an eager puppy waiting for attention. (Y/n) had to press her lips together to refrain from gaping her mouth in shock at a new side of him she'd never seen before. It was rather... cute, "Anyways, about what I said—"

'Ah, that's what he wanted,' she internally sweat-dropped.

(Y/n) slightly rose a hand to stop him before looking away, "If it's about the confession, I don't want to talk about it right now. I'm... still in a bit of shock and all I want to focus on is your well-being."

"But I'm okay—" He said but was cut off by a pair of (e/c) eyes glaring straight at him, "—Er, I will be okay and I'm fully conscious, so let's talk. It's been bothering me how you're avoiding what you told me over the phone the last couple of days...

Am I... misunderstanding everything?"

At that, (y/n) froze and owlishly blinked a couple of times. Although, could you blame him? For all he knew, this was some elaborate prank on (y/n)'s end as revenge for everything he's done to her, and her deliberately ignoring the topic only reinforced that idea. That maybe she's only caring about him now out of sheer guilt.

It's not a completely impossible thought. They really went from going at each other's throats every possible second of the day to... suddenly realizing their feelings?? Hell, he wasn't even sure what he was feeling was anywhere near romantic, but he intends to figure that out now. Even if it is not anything more than platonic, (y/n) deserves to know where his feelings lies for her so there isn't a misunderstanding that would wound up hurting the both of them. He wants a serious conversation— no antics, no insults, no jokes.