Prologue

Dallas Winston

     It was the night of the rumble and I was stuck in the hospital with a busted arm. They might've started without me. If they did, I'll kill every last one of them greasers, including that dumb Tim Shepard. He can throw a good punch and all, but no body could beat me.
     "Mr. Winston?" a nurse said, coming in with a clip board. "Is there anything I can get you?" Ugh. I hated this woman. She was always checking on me like I was gonna run away at any second.
     "Can I see Johnny?" She gave me a disapproving look. Johnny had been injured in a church fire and now he was gonna die. Why was he so stupid?
     "You might as well go then." I said. The nurse began to walk away, but I stopped her.  
     "Actually, there is something I need." She came closer and I reached under my pillow for the switch blade that Two-Bit gave me earlier today. When she was close enough I grabbed it and pointed it at her. This blade was a beauty. No wonder it was Two-Bit's pride and joy.
     The nurse just stared at me. Boy was I impressed. She didn't even flinch. "Well, what do you want?" she asked, looking kinda irritated. Man, why couldn't she be scared? The way she looked at me... It was like I was a disappointment. A hood.
     "You're gonna let me leave right now or else."
     The nurse raised her brow.
     "Just so you know, I'm letting you go because I want to, not because you threatened me." I flashed her a grin and got out of bed. I had dressed myself earlier before she came. Grabbing my leather jacket at the foot of the bed, I went to the door. I took off through the hospital to find a way out of this shit hole. Johnny would have to wait.
     When I did get out, I was met by a cool summer breeze that felt nice against my dark, greasy hair. Ponyboy told me where the rumble was gonna be. I went through backyards and alleyways to avoid unwanted attention. For all I know the fuzz could be searching for me.
     I came to a field where a large fire was burning. Tim must've done that. Back in New York we were both hiding from the cops after he committed a murder. He taught me how to start fires in metal trash bins to keep warm at night, and only he could make one as good as the one before me.
     Darry and my crew, along with the Tim Shepard gang, were lined up facing a bunch of socs. There were twenty-one of the bastards and only twenty of the greasers. Maybe I could even things out.
     Darry was circling this guy who looked awfully familiar... Paul! That was his name. Paul Holden. He and Darry were on the same football team back in high school. I couldn't let them fight. Not until everyone knew I was here. The rumble don't start 'til I walk in. "Hold up!" I yelled, running up to them. "Hold it!" Darry turned to see who it was, and suddenly there was a bright light. And then there was nothing.