Chapter Eight

Adele Robinson

After getting all the boys settled, they told me their names. I respected Darry not only because he was the oldest, but because he seemed more mature. I couldn't help but think he was the backbone and leader of everyone else. I could tell that Two-Bit was a kleptomaniac because I caught him sneaking into my house to steal my ramen noodles.

Steve kept asking complicated questions about cars that I didn't know the answers to. When I went to the garage to check on them, everyone was glued to the TV watching Cartoon Network, until Darry changed the channel to watch the news. Everyone glared at him. "What? We should try to learn more about this time." he said. With a sigh, I went back into the house.

I'd finally gone to sleep when I heard a yell. My dad stormed into my room and yanked the covers from me. Then I felt someone curl up against my back. Bambi.

Oh no. She must have sneaked in when I was sleeping. I pushed her off of the bed just as my dad reached for me and grabbed a fistful of my hair. He yanked it, pulling me off the bed.

"Addie!" Bambi cried, standing in the corner of my room. "Run! Don't look back!" I yelled. "You didn't think to wake me up? Do you know how bad my back hurts from sleeping on the floor?" My dad yelled before kicking me in the stomach and ribs. I screamed.