Chapter Fourteen

Steve Randle

As soon as Adele was back on her feet, I went to get a job at Menards with Darry and Two-Bit. The boys and I were tired of eating Ramen Noodles every night. Ponyboy and Johnnycake had gone out every day this week to mow people's lawns for a few bucks. Back in 1963, a few bucks was a lot of money. Here, it's nothing. Dally had been left in the garage to watch Bambi and walk her to the bus stop everyday when Sodapop didn't feel like it. The two have been spending a lot of time together and I think he sees her as the little sister that he never had.

When Darry, Two-Bit, and I got off of work, we went to look at apartments. It took hours to find the perfect one. It was large with three bedrooms, what Darry would call a "spacious" living room, and a kitchen big enough to fit in a table and chairs. 

When we got to the garage, we were smiling. "We got an apartment!" Two-Bit said. Everyone cheered and grabbed their covers. "A stove and everything was provided. We just need furniture." Darry said.

Once everyone had packed their stuff, we began to walk to the apartment, which was more than ten blocks away. So when we finally got there, everyone was out of breath. "Home sweet home." I said.