Chapter Thirteen

Adele Robinson

The boys and I have been hiding out in the garage for a few weeks now. During the first few days my father would check the backyard for me and Bambi. He never checked the garage because he was either too drunk or lazy. Two-Bit and Darry have been working at Menards, earning enough money to buy us food and saving up for an apartment. I told them about Goodwill and they bought their clothes from there. Whenever my father left the house to go to the bar we'd go into the house and take quick showers. It's been hard living here.

My ribs were getting better with Steve and Sodapop's help. After three days, I was able to return to school. I didn't get bullied as much and Byron left me alone. He still gave me mean looks though. I've been very lonely since Makayla left, but every time I felt that way I remembered that I had Sodapop. During my time in the garage, we bonded.

We talked about our lives and I learned that where Soda lives there was a war going on. A war between Socials and Greasers. I told Soda that things were similar here. We had the cool vs. the lame, the smart and dumb.

"I guess I'd fit in with dumb." Soda said after I told him. "You're smarter than you know, Sodapop." I said. He sighed and got up from the floor where we were sitting. "I'm gonna walk Bambi to her bus." he said as he left. I felt so bad. "Oh Soda..."