Chapter Twenty-Four

Dallas Winston

I wasn't used to the future movie theater, so when we went inside I looked around. There were lots of different people buying popcorn and other snacks. Makayla stood by my side and smirked. "Not used to the future, huh?" My heart stopped stopped. How'd she know about me not being from this time? Maybe she was joking or something. "What are you talking about?" I ask. At awkward times like this, I'd stick a toothpick in my mouth and pretend not to care. Since there were no toothpicks, I grabbed the closest thing I could find and put it in my mouth; a plastic fork.

"Adele told me about how you guys ended up here. I told you me and her are best friends. We tell each other everything." I was very surprised, but it didn't show. "Well now you know." I replied with a shrug.

"Yep." It was silent for a while. "So do you actually not care about anything or do you just not care about the fact that you're a time traveller?" Makayla asked suddenly. People looked at her like she was nuts, but she didn't care. The only person who would talk to me like that was Cherry, but I'm pretty sure she'd be dead by now from old age or something. The only difference between Cherry and Makayla was that Cherry hated me and Makayla might not hate me. At least Makayla was giving me a chance. 

"I do care, I just don't show it." The only two people I would even consider being myself around is Johnny and Bambi. "I used to be that way too, ya know." she said as we got in line to buy snacks. 

"What do you mean?"

"I used to lock up my feelings and emotions and the only thing that showed on the surface was anger and rage. You can't keep things bottled up, Dallas." My mouth was wide open in shock. How'd she know me so well? No one has ever been able to relate to me like that. Like her. 

Makayla Jones was truly one of a kind.