Chapter Three

Adele Robinson

     How could she be moving away? We'd known each other since kindergarten. She was the one I told my secrets to. How could she leave me? How dare she? My sadness and despair turned into anger.
     "How could you?" I said, backing away.     
     "Please listen Addie. I had no choice. My parents are making me." she paused. "You should know better than anybody."
     As soon as she said it, she tried to apologize. "I'm so sorry-"
     "No Mack. I've had enough." Turning away, I ran out of the school and didn't stop until I was home.
     As soon as I opened the door a hand grabbed my shirt and pulled me inside. My father threw me to the ground and stumbled. He was drunk again. Oh boy.
     "Do you know what you forgot to do?" he said, swaying. His grey hair was unkempt and he looked awfully close to passing out. I hid my fear and panic and climbed to my feet, only to be pushed down again.
     "I didn't tell you to get up!" He took one step forward and then fell out. Thank goodness. I stood up before remembering something. Bambi! Running out the door, I went to the bus stop just as Bambi was getting off the bus.
     "Addie!" she said, running and jumping into my arms. Grabbing her hand, we walked home. Before I opened the door I knelt down in front of her.
     "Dad is laying on the ground. He's sleeping, so don't disturb him okay?" Bambi nodded. We went in and I whispered, "Go upstairs." She did as told and I went to the kitchen to put some noodles on the stove. Night had fallen, and I had just made two bowls when Bambi came running downstairs.
     "Addie!" she yelled.
     I shushed her and looked over to our father on the floor. He stirred, but remained in his intoxicated slumber. I sighed in relief.
     "Now what are you talking about?" I said. She jumped up and down.
     "There was a bright light outside in the backyard and seven boys appeared." Bambi has never lied to me, which is why I wasn't too surprised when I found seven boys in our backyard.