Chapter Seventeen

Adele Robinson

When everyone was ready to go to Goodwill, I opened the door and stepped into the hallway, only to be pushed by an unknown force. "Hey! What's wrong with-" I started. My rampage ended in a surprised gasp. Standing in front of me was Makayla, my ex-friend. I'd pushed her to the back of my head since I was busy with the boys and all. Now my emotions were resurfacing. "What are you doing here?" I asked crossly. "I live here." she said. My eyes widened in shock. "Aren't you supposed to be far away from here?" I sneered. Now I know I shouldn't be this mean, but I felt so hurt.

Makayla was my only friend and she left me, and I was even angrier that she came back. The boys were standing in the doorway, dumbfounded. "Last month you didn't let me finish. My parents and I moved to New York and they said that if I didn't like it after a month, I could come back." she said quickly. "I would never leave you Addie. You know you my ride-or-die buddy." she said, tucking a micro-braid behind her ear. She always did this when she was nervous or scared. "Oh Mack!" I said, pulling her into a hug.

When we stopped hugging, she asked, "Why are all these white boys starin' at us?"