Chapter Nineteen

Keith Mathews

Dally ran off after Makayla and soon after Ponyboy, Darry, and I followed. We peeked around the corner of the hallway to see Makayla unlocking her door. "Hey!" Dally said. He pushed her into the apartment and closed the door. There was a clicking sound and we knew it was locked. "Maybe we should call the police?" Ponyboy asked. I hit him upside the head. "We can't have the fuzz showing up here you idiot!" I said. "Two-Bit's right. Who knows what'll happen if the police show up?" Darry said. We heard a large thumping sound followed by the shattering of glass. Then there were moans.

We all approached the door, blushing. "You don't think...?" Pony asked Darry, embarrassed. "Er... I don't know Ponyboy." Bambi came running down the hall and stopped in front of the door. She then closed one eye and looked through the hole in the lock with the other. After a few seconds she laughed loudly and clapped her hands. Darry reached out and moved her. "We don't want you looking at that kind of stuff. You're too young to know about that." he said. Bambi kept laughing. The door suddenly burst open and Dally was thrown out head first, landing on the hard wood floor. His shirt was torn and his face was covered in bruises. "I told you not to play with me boy." Makayla said. "You lucky my mama not here. She would've pistol-whipped you. You got off easy." She went back in and closed the door. "I like black girls." Steve said. "Me too." Dally said, sprawled out on the floor.