DECISIONS

July 17th, 2010.

It's officially been a week after my 16th birthday, and everything has been going perfectly.

On the night of my birthday, Bellatrix and Rodolphus surprised me completely. I woke up to a box sitting on my bed next to me, and when I opened it I found the most beautiful black dress I could have ever asked for.

But when I walked downstairs I found the real surprise of the day, the whole mansion had been decorated in black and green candles, black roses adorning the rooms, and the ballroom, oh the ballroom. The ballroom had been completely transformed to how I have always thought it must have looked back in it's glory days. It turns out, we were throwing a masquerade ball.

I truly felt like a princess, like everything was fully perfect. I was so happy dancing with Draco, who wore a black suit to match my dress, while we played around pretending we were back in the 1800's, and that we were two secret lovers. For a night everything was perfect, and I felt complete in every single way.

The morning after that when Draco and I walked downstairs to get breakfast, Bellatrix and Rodolphus surprised me with one more thing, it turns out the Dark Lord had called for a meeting in a week, to discuss my future now that I finally had turned 16.

It's been a week already, and I'm completely shaking as I make my way down the long set of stairs, too anxious to use the old elevator, thinking maybe walking a bit more would be enough to calm down.

I'm so nervous yet so excited, this is the moment I've been waiting for my entire life quite literally.

I get to the room where the meeting was being held, and waited patiently outside for Rodolphus to come to get me as he said he would. But a couple of minutes later I heard footsteps coming towards the room, from the hallway. I turned to see who it was, and I have to admit I was a bit surprised at the sight of a certain blonde, who was so much paler than usual and clearly hadn't slept, making him look like he could faint in any moment.

"Draco, what are you doing here? You didn't say you'd come to the meeting too." I quietly whispered, so no one from inside the room would hear me.

"I didn't know, father told me just yesterday." He whispered back. "Why do you look so happy?"

I frowned slightly. "Well, because I am. He'll finally take me into consideration, finally welcome me as who I am, the rightfully heir to the throne, her niece."

"You don't know, then?" He looked to the ground. "Irya..." He took my hand in his, squeezing it a little. "This is it. It's our initiation, we're getting the mark."

"No." I shook my head slightly, surely they would have told me, so I could prepare myself. But then again I suppose I have been preparing myself, all my life. Then my mind finally registered completely what he had said. "Wait, you too? I thought you didn't want to-"

"I don't want to, but you know I've got no choice. Some of us have to do it." The fear in his voice was undeniable, as he ran his free hand through his hair as he turned to look at the ceiling, like it would somehow help him.

He looked at me again, and I felt a pang in my chest when I saw directly at his eyes. I always felt like I could get lost in them, they were always so beautifully complicated. Even when he had mastered a perfectly blank face, I could always read right through his facade when I looked at his eyes.

I use to always compare them to an ocean full of foam, beautifully poetic because even though it isn't perfect it's still always beautiful, the waves making it perfect imperfect in its own unique way. Lately though, all I could think to compare them were to the sky: some days a beautiful light shade of blue full of cotton clouds and happiness, but most days a sky filled with gray rainy clouds, signalling the storm of dark emotions going through them. If I were to compare his eyes to the sky, right now I could swear I just saw lighting.