FACING KILLIAN

After a quick stop in a store, the name of which I didn't even get to see, and two full carts we pulled into a hotel. Tony insisted I sleep and try to get some rest but I knew I wouldn't be able to not only because of the situation we were in, you know just preparing to fight the Mandarin, but because I would have felt guilty to get some sleep when I knew Tony would stay up working on his little inventions by himself.

So here we were, many hours into the night, 3 or maybe 4 am? Who knows. I was sitting in front of Tony, on the other side of the bed as I tried my best to weld wires together on a white fabric glove, while Tony put together some sort of taser. Though I wasn't sleepy anymore, the feeling having left my body after nearly managing to get me, silence was something I'd been hating as of lately. It allowed me to overthink everything and right now with everything happening, and a certain article in a particular wizarding newspaper, I knew that wasn't the best for me, so I started to try and make some small talk.

"The Tony Stark working with materials simple mortals have access to, who would have thought, huh?" I try to joke, and though a hint of a smile forms on his face he shakes his head.

"Everyone knows that, duh." He flips the little taser-like device in his hand as he continues to work on it. "Have you forgotten the legend of Mark 1?"

"The what?" I looked up to see him, which was a bad idea because I burned myself with the welder. "Shit." I mutter, bringing my burned finger to my mouth instinctively.

"Wait, you've never heard of it?" For a moment I thought he was making fun of me, but he was genuinely surprised.

"Nope." I say, and go back to welding. "Plan on telling me, or are you just going to keep that surprised look on your face?"

"It's the story of how I built my first suit." He says, and looks concentrated as he resumes his work on the taser, but I can almost see his mind is wandering off somewhere in his memories.

"So, what was so great that people call it the 'legend of Mark 1'? Like, do people actually call it that?" I ask. His hands working on the taser stop, and he looks at me.

"Okay, perhaps not everyone." He admits, chucking. "But they do know it. I was kidnapped, everyone thought I was dead."

"Ah, much like this." I point out to our very own situation ironically.

"Yeah, only difference is I actually thought I was gonna die". He says. I don't really know how to respond so I choose to keep quiet instead. After a long dramatic pause Tony puts down the device he was working on, and picks up a set of cables I'm not sure I know the purpose of before speaking again. "So, a few years ago Stark Industries used to sell weapons. I was on a campaing in Afghanistan doing a demonstration of a missile and long story short I got kidnapped by this group on the orders of an old friend and..." He had started to speak faster by the end, until he stopped himself, letting the cables fall in front of him bringing his hands to his face as he let out a frustrated sigh.

"Hey." I say, putting down the welder to make sure I don't burn myself again. "I'ts okay, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to. Wouldn't want you to have another panic attack, right?" I try to joke, but he looks dead serious as he lets his hands fall in front of him again.

"No, I want to tell you." He concluded, and picked up the cables again. "I was put in this cave-like cell, and they wanted me to build a new missile they could use. I had lost hope in ever coming back home, but a friend helped me remember the important stuff to stay focused."

"Friend?" I can see he is just fiddling with the cables because he's nervous, not really because he is doing anything with them, but I decide not to mention it.