THE BATTLE OF NEW YORK

Natasha was kind enough to let me use one of her old suits since she said it'd be more comfortable and practical than the jeans and jacket I was wearing, and I have to be honest, the suit fit me really good

As I finished putting my hair on a high ponytail I decided I wanted to see Stark before we went out to fight, it's weird but I guess I'm just feeling a tad nervous, after all I don't really know what to expect since we're going to be taking on an outer space army by ourselves.

I got to the lab pretty quickly, as I had already learned the way, and there he was working on his helmet.

"Hey." I say awkwardly, as I just stand in front of him. What am I even doing here? Rogers, Romanoff and Barton will be ready any minute and so should I, we have no time to lose, yet here I am.

"Hi." He puts his helmet down on the table as he looks at me, clearly weirded out to see me here right now. "What's up?"

"Uh, nothing. Nothing's... Up." Way to go, Irya. I took a deep breath thinking of what to say, what was I even doing coming here? "I just came here to say, don't do anything stupid. I may have only met you a couple of days ago, but I can tell you're the type to do stupid, reckless things. So just don't do any of that, will you?" He made a funny face, clearly trying not to laugh, I guess he could tell that really I'm just nervous. He let out a slight chuckle before speaking.

"I don't do stupid things, I'm a genius." I just rolled my eyes at that, even now he can't keep his ego and narcissism controlled. "Hey, it'll be okay." He put his joking manner aside, and walked around the table to stand in front of me. "But you, little lady, should be careful. In fact, you shouldn't even be going."

"I can take care of myself," I scoffed, now he gets protective? "In case you didn't know, this is not the first battle I've been in. I come from a war, much worse and a thousand times more dangerous than however this alien army can possibly be." Is it actually, though? Is it more dangerous, or am I just trying to convince myself of that?

"Chill out, Aillie." Again with the name, it feels so weird to hear him say it, so foreign. Like it belongs to someone else. "Look, I know you've been through a lot and even though I'd really like to, I know I can't force you to stay. Just please be careful out there, and if at any moment you feel overwhelmed or need help or anything don't hesitate to ask for help, I'll be there in a second." By the look on his face I can tell he's being serious, and it just makes me more nervous, should I be scared? An awkward silence takes over, as I take a moment to answer.

"I'll be fine, but thanks I guess." I play with the sleeves of the suit, and as I do the hint of pain reminds me I forgot to cast a charm to fix my left arm, as I probably broke it. I'll episkey it later on the ride.

"Yeah, it's just, I just found you. I don't want to lose you again." As I look back at him, making eye contact with him, I see the hurt and regret in his features as he tries to disguise it with a smile. "Can I just...?" He doesn't finish his sentence, but instead walks a couple of steps closer to me and slowly and carefully weirdly wraps his arms around me, enveloping me in an awkward hug.