BIRTHDAY

Tony tried to reassure Pepper that everything was okay, and even though the two of us knew she didn't buy it she decided not to push it. Instead, she tried to lighten up the mood and suggested Tony and I go get some lunch.

So that's exactly what we were on our way to do. It probably hadn't even been twenty minutes since I yelled at him yet we were walking to the front door to get in the car parked outside and get some cheese burgers.

I followed Tony as he walked to the car and opened his door about to get in, but then we saw a black car driving into the driveway and parking just a couple meters away from our car. Tony closed the car door again and walked to be in front of me as we saw a figure coming out of the black car. None other than Fury.

"Hey." Tony said in a no-so-friendly manner, eyeing him cautiously.

"Stark. Irya." Fury greeted us.

"Not to be rude but weren't you here just yesterday?" Tony crossed his arms as he stood straight, possibly expecting some bad news but Fury's body language told a completely different story, he was relaxed as he walked past him and towards me.

"I know. I'm only here to deliver something, I was told it was extremely important you got it today." He looked at me as he handed me a small black box, which I took gratefully but didn't open right away.

"Thanks." I said, offering the best smile I could considering my still mixed emotions. He gave me a small smile back and nodded, and then he turned back and walked to his car as Tony and I just stood there watching him. He opened the door, and before he got in he looked at me once again.

"Think I can make a little deduction?" He asked me. Tony looked at him, then at me, then back at him trying to piece things together.

"Sure." I answered, and he gave a small smile, I gave him one back.

"Happy birthday, Irya." He got in the car and wasted no time in driving away. My smile fell and I looked at the box in my hands, playing with it, before putting it in the front pocket of my shorts, quickly opening the passengers door of Tony's car and getting in. Through the window I watched as Tony stood stunned for a couple of seconds before quickly walking back to the driver's door and getting inside the car. He sighed as he rested his hands on the wheel.

"So..." He looked at me for a moment before looking to the front and starting the car.

"Yep." I said popping the 'p'. He stayed quiet for a minute as we drove and I decided not to say anything, just because I wasn't sure what I should say.

"July tenth then. Wow." He broke the silence just as I reached out to turn on the stereo to put some music. "Why didn't you say anything?" Why didn't I?

"To be honest, I kinda don't know." I shrugged. "I'd forgotten all about it until this morning when I asked Jarvis what today's date was." I struggled a little bit with the stereo as I tried to find a song that catched my attention, until a rock song came on. Satisfied I turned the volume low so I could still hear it but it wouldn't be distracting to the conversation.

"And you weren't gonna say anything?" He said, smiling a bit when he heard the song I left on. I once again shrugged. "Sorry, I'm making it seem like it's your fault when really I should have known. If I hadn't..." He paused and I reached to playfully hit him in the shoulder.

"It's okay. We can't change the past, but we can try not to fuck up again in the future." I sighed. He sighed too, before his eyes lightned up.

"So, what do you want to do to celebrate?" He had a smile that was gradually growing as I could practically see the gears in his mind turning and moving quickly while he came up with ideas of how to celebrate.