[Chapter 20] The Rollercoaster

||You guys are literally the best! Your messages and comments take so much stress off of me when writing this. Thank you! Sorry if this is rushed. This whole chapter got deleted at one point and I had to retype it..||

Karkat's days have had their ups and downs. Some days were great, some were terrible. Yet he still kept a smile on his face for Sollux and his father.

Sollux already had enough stress at home. He never really explained to Karkat what it was that happened. He would put on his best smile, and wave the problem away like it was floating in the air. Karkat never pushed him. The would go about their day as if nothing happened.

His dad was a busy man. Karkat didn't want to bother him with his needs. His dad was only here for a few months. Karkat wanted those months to be filled with happiness between them. He didn't want his father to worry. Besides, his father wasn't the best at dealing with his teenage boy's problems.

Kankri, however, loved to talk to Karkat about his problems. He liked figuring out ways to make Karkat's days a little better. Just like he was his mother, he would as Karkat "How was your day? Was today any better?" They would have their hour long conversation before their dad got home from the store, or wherever he went that day.

"Karkat?" A voice abruptly stopped his thoughts.

It was his English teacher. He stuttered hopelessly. "Y-Yes ma'am?"

"Do you know the answer to number 15?"

Karkat hadn't been paying attention to the lesson all week. He had no idea what they were doing. He shook his head no.

"Well, try, please."

He looked down at the paper. They had been studying poetry. He scanned for number 15 and read it in his head.

Just before he was about to answer, someone shouted something out.

"This kid doesn't know anything! Why even ask?"

The class laughed. Karkat didn't even bother to see who it was. He was to embarrassed. He grabbed all his stuff and ran out of the classroom, his teacher calling after him.

He ran to the upstairs bathroom so no one would find him. Setting his bag on the sink, he searched through his bag to find a clean sticky note. He wrote a fake pass on it, and began walking to the science classes just down the hall.

Dropping his bag in his locker on the way there, he knocked on the door.

He went into the classroom and up to the teachers desk. Everyone stared at him. Especially Sollux.

Karkat pretended to be a student aid that helped out at the front office. He handed the teacher the note.

'Sollux Captor to the front office. -Smith'

The teacher nodded and called Sollux to his desk.

"They need you at the front office. Since the bell will ring soon, you may take your stuff." Sollux nodded, shot a confused look at Karkat, and gathered his things.

~

Halfway down the hall, Karkat pulled Sollux into the bathroom, on the verge of tears.

In the few minutes they had, Karkat told him all about what happened, and all about what has been happening for the past few weeks. He clung to Sollux, who comforted him. He kissed his head and told him about how everything would be alright. They would fix this together.

Suddenly, the door opened. Both boys froze, waiting. They knew they were in trouble. Or so they thought.

With wide eyes, they stared at him. The face- painted Gamzee.

"Bros! I haven't seen you guys since lunch! What's up?" Being bigger than both of them, he wrapped them in a huge hug. As he pulled away, he noticed Karkat trying to wipe his eyes. "Karbro....Are you okay?"

Karkat nodded and chuckled, unable to keep the smile forming on his face. "I'm just...So glad we finally got to see you, Gamzee. We never talk as much anymore."
Sollux looked over to Karkat. In that moment, he thought he finally had Karkat figured out. He was a sweet boy. He didn't want to cause trouble. He wanted to prevent it. He was smart, and able to handle chaotic situations at times. Sure, sometimes he was grumpy, but he knew how to handle it. He would make a great leader one day.

Sollux smiled and wrapped an arm around Karkat. "What do you say we all hang out this afternoon?" Sollux looked down at Karkat. His hopeful eyes got even bigger, as did his smile. Karkat looked at Gamzee.

"Can Tavros come too? Haven't been able to hang out with that motherfucker for a while now. Both boys nodded. Before they could work out their plans, the bell rang. They sighed. Sollux would text Gamzee the plans later.

As they left Gamzee in the bathroom and headed to Karkat's locker, Sollux gave Karkat a quick kiss on the cheek and gave his most genuine smile. That smile blocked out everything around Karkat. He no longer heard the names they were being called. He no longer worried about his schoolwork, or anything bugging his mind. Every time he looked at his lover, he was filled with happiness. It overwhelmed him.

Until they broke it. Until they broke everything.

"I got proof, too! Wanna see?"

She shoved the picture in his face. ")(e doesn't love you, crabby pants. )(e loves me~"

Karkat's eyes formed unstoppable tears.

In the picture, Sollux was kissing Meenah.