[Chapter 22] What's Become Of Us?

That night, Karkat was able to go to bed feeling a little better. He ignored the messages on his phone. He knew he would have to face Sollux tomorrow. He would do what he had to. He couldn't show himself being weak.

His phone continued to ring. He shut it off, sighing. He crawled into bed, almost falling asleep instantly.

The next morning, he went to school sluggishly. Once at his locker, he waited. Any minute now, Sollux would be there.

"Karkat!" A sudden voice shouted. Karkat cringed. It was painful to hear his voice. It made him miss him even more. He sighed, looking over in his direction.

When Sollux ran up to him in an attempt to hug him, Karkat pushed him away. He looked up at Sollux. The hurt in his eyes were clearly visible. It made him want to beat himself up for making him feel this way, but he had to get things cleared up.

Sollux looked down at Karkat. He was confused, yet terrified. "K-Karkat.."

Karkat cleared his throat and looked at the boy he once trusted. "Do you love me?"

Sollux looked at him if he was crazy. "What kind of question is that?"

Karkat's eyes watered. He clenched his fists. "Just answer it. Do you love me?"

"Of course I do! You're the only person I could ever love. I'd die without you."

"Then why did I see a photo of you kissing Meenah?" He began crying again. He kept his head down so Sollux couldn't see.

Sollux could see, however. "Karkat, no..That wasn't me doing that. Meenah...She...She forced me to. She said she'd hurt you if I didn't. I didn't care what she did with that picture. I just wanted to make sure you were safe...I love you, Karkat. Please believe me. I wouldn't lie to you.."

Karkat looked at him, his face stained with tears. It tore Sollux apart to see his lover like this.

"Do you swear on our lives?"

"Yes, Kk. I do. I really do."

Karkat couldn't stop himself. He couldn't stay strong anymore. It was time for him to be weak. To be taken care of. He pushed himself into Sollux's arms. Sollux gladly hugged him back and kissed his head.

Karkat's voice was muffled into Sollux's shirt. He felt stupid for giving in so easily, but at the same time, something was telling him that Sollux was telling the truth, and that he could never do a thing like this.

"I'm sorry I said anything. I'm such an idiot for thinking that you would do that to me. I love you, Sollux."

"You're not an idiot. You're a smart, kind, and sensitive prince. You're one of a kind."

Karkat giggled and leaned up to kiss him, his tears disappearing. "I'm no prince."

Sollux raised a brow, as if Karkat was telling the biggest lie. "Oh, you're a prince all right."

Karkat loved Sollux's creative, yet silly compliments. They always made him feel much better.

The bell rang. Karkat made a pouty face. Sollux kissed his head again. "I'll see you after class, okay?"

Karkat nodded, watching Sollux walk down the hall into his first class. He sighed, and trudged in the opposite direction. Unfortunately for him, Meenah walked by and pushed him into the lockers, causing his books to fall out of his hands.

"Fuckin' shrimp!" She and her gang of friends laughed. Karkat didn't really recognize any of them. He didn't bother to look anyway. The bell had rang, and the crew was nowhere in sight. He was alone again.

||So yeah sorry for the lateness and rushed-ness of this. I went to Florida this weekend. It wasn't that great. I was frustrated the whole time. I've also had a busy schedule what with finals and all. Tomorrow is my last day of school, and my math final. Wish me luck!