[Chapter 23] Secrets

||So apparently I didn't have to take my math final! Woo! Hopefully I finish this before tonight. I really want you all to have a little something ^^ ||

Karkat decided to let Sollux come over that afternoon. He couldn't thunk of anything better. He forgot about his dad, however.

They walked inside, Karkat chuckling. His dad was sitting on the couch, watching TV. He looked up at Karkat and smiled. He stood up and went over to the boys.

Sollux was fucking terrified. He was meeting Karkat's dad. Holy fuck.

Signless extended his hand to shake Sollux's. Sollux took his hand nervously. His handshake was firm, but not painful.

"Dad, this is So-....Sollux.." In his mind, he was throwing himself off a cliff. He forgot to tell his dad that things were okay.

When Signless realized it, he shook Sollux's hand with a tight squeeze. Sollux whimpered.

"So, you're the boy that hurt my son, huh?"

Sollux couldn't speak. He assumed that Karkat never told him what happened afterwards.

"I..I..-"

"Wait, dad!" Karkat stepped in between each of them. "It was all a mistake! We made up! Meenah....Meenah made him do it. He only did it because she threatened to do something to me. He was only trying to protect me."

Signless looked over to Sollux. "Is this true?"

Sollux swallowed and nodded. Signless nodded, ruffled Karkat's hair, and went to his room.

"I think he hates me."

~

They sat in the livingroom watching a movie. It was one of Karkat's favorites. They took turns picking the movie each time Sollux came over.

Karkat rested his head partly on Sollux's chest. He had his arm wrapped around Karkat.

Kankri walked through moments later. He sad down in the floor.

"Can dad and I watch the movie with you guys?"

Karkat nodded and leaned up to kiss Sollux, reassuring him. Their dad came in only moments later and sat in his recliner. Sollux didn't dare look him in the eye.

Every few minutes, Signless would glance at the boys and smile. He knew Sollux was a good boy. After what happened, he was a protective father and knew just how fragile Karkat was.

After the movie, Signless offered to take Sollux home. Sollux tried denying it, and telling him that he could walk, but he told Sollux that it was way too late for him to walk home.

"I'll get my shoes on and go with you." Karkat told him.

Once he left, Sollux didn't make any conversation with Signless. He was still nervous.

"Sollux?"

"Yes sir?"

Signless sighed and rubbed his forehead.

"I know that you're a good boy, and that everything that happened wasn't your fault. You were just trying to protect him. Thank you for that."

Sollux nodded.

"But you have to at least promise me one thing." He sighed. "Promise me that you will keep him safe from these people. You know how fragile he is. He's not emotionally prepared for the cruel people of this world. He needs a reminder every day to know he's loved, and not just from me. Can you do that?"

Sollux nodded. Signless smiled just as Karkat came in. "Okay, ready!"

~

Sollux attempted to get Signless to drop him off at the corner, but he wouldn't have that. He drove Sollux right up to his house.

"Woah...So this is your house?" Karkat looked back to him.

Sollux didn't look at him. He just nodded.
"Sollux, it's okay. I promise."

Karkat got out of the car, along with Sollux, and walked him halfway to the door.

"W-We better not go any farther..." Sollux continued to glance worriedly at the house. Karkat frowned.

"Are you okay, babe? You seem scared. Did my dad say something bad to you?"

Sollux shool his head, and smiled. Of course, it was fake. Karkat could tell, but he let it slide for now. He kissed him softly as they said their goodbyes until morning.

As they drove away from his house, Sollux sighed. He squeezed his backpack straps tightly. He was late getting home. He was late getting home every night this week.

He hoped he was drunk, or just asleep when he got home. But every night, he waited for him. Every. Fucking. Night.

He opened the door slowly, in an attempt to sneak up into his room. His uncle was waiting there for him.

"Where the fuck have you been?"

||Sorry if this isn't so good! I wrote this in about 30 minutes. ||