[Chapter 21] Was It Ever Really Love?

||Please note that I'm not judgemental towards Meenah for no reason. I only used her because she's usually portrayed as a mean character, and it's more sensible to use a mean character, rather than using someone like Feferi to be the bully.

P.S 413 comments omg||

It couldn't be true. There was no way this photo was real.

"But..." Karkat whimpered out. "H-He wouldn't do that.."

Meenah snickered. "'Course he would. Didn't ya know him and John were friends? It's all just another prank, boy. And you fell for it again."

Meenah laughed and walked away, feeling triumphant of her wrong-doings.

Karkat slumped down against his locker. He literally felt as if his heart cracked into a million pieces. He suddenly felt empty and alone.

Picking himself up slowly, he took out his phone. He had only a minute left to get to class. He sighed, going back into the bathroom and scrolling through his contacts. He sent out a quick text and left for class, the bell ringing just before he entered.

The text was for his dad. It read:

'Hey dad, can you pick me up early today? We need to talk.'

~

The car ride home was silent. No one spoke. Once home, his father helped him get his stuff out of the car. Thanking him, Karkat went into the house and sat down on the couch.

Signless fixed them each up a drink, and something to snack on. He placed the plate and drinks on the table, and eased himself onto the couch next to his son.

"Ready to talk?"

Karkat nodded. He took a deep breath. His heart was pounding, and his head was hurting. His eyes filled with tears.

"Dad...You love me, right?"

His father nodded. "Of course, son. I always will."

A single tear roller down his cheek. "Would...Would you still love me if something was wrong with me? Would you love me if...If I was socially unacceptable and judged constantly?"

His tears fell onto his pants. He wiped his face with his jacket sleeve.

"Son...If would love you no matter what. I wouldn't care if you were disabled, physically or mentally. I wouldn't care if you killed a man, and everyone knew. I wouldn't care if you overthrew the government, for fucks sake. You're still my son, and you're still human, no matter what."

Karkat muffled his sobs. He ducked his head down, unable to face his father.

"Would you still love me if I was gay?"

His father said nothing. His face became angry. He stood up, letting out a long, agitated sigh. Karkat's tears only became heavier.

"Son. Stand up."

A little scared, Karkat did as he was told. His dad forcefully dragged him to the bathroom, and stood him in front of the mirror.

"Look at yourself. What's wrong with you?"

Karkat didn't look up.

"I said, look at yourself. Now."

Karkat looked up at the mirror. He saw a failure. A loser. An outcast of society. A freak.

"What's wrong with you?" His dad said, slightly angry. Karkat bit his lip and looked down.

"Nothing."

Karkat looked back up. He felt like he was dreaming. He wiped his eyes again, and looked at his father. "W-What..."

His father kneeled now to Karkat, looking at him. He had an angry expression on his face, but it wasn't for Karkat.

"There is nothing wrong with you. Son, you are perfect. Yes, you have flaws. But there's nothing wrong with them, because they're perfect too. You're human. You're a wonderful son, and you're going to grow up to be something great one day, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone stop you."

Karkat hugged his father tightly. He couldn't believe it. He still cried, but this time, he was happy.

They spent the afternoon watching Karkat's favorite movies. He had never felt closer to his dad. He pushed Sollux to the back of his mind for now.