Chapter Two

Chapter Two

She didn't recognize him. Arturo could tell the instant that soft frown pulled at her brows, the way she angled her head just so. Clearly confused, but also a little worried. She was the rabbit in the trap. He kind of liked that.

Then she shook her head while Arturo smiled at her. "I don't think we've ever met before." She spoke carefully, as though worried she might be saying the wrong thing.

She was, but he was enjoying this too damned much.

"Trust me, we have," he said, and he reached down and opened one of the desk drawers. There were some small hair ties in there, and he grabbed on and used it to tie his hair back.

Tying it back made him look a little less like himself, he'd been told. It straightened out his hair and have him a much more sophisticated look than long hair that was loose.

Long hair tied back, however, made people think he was something of a gentleman, that he had good manners as well as style. He didn't understand it, but he used it to his advantage. Quite often, too.

The last time this woman had seen him, his hair had been tied back, so, he did the same now, and he watched her face as she studied him.

At first, he started to worry that she really wouldn't remember. Irritating and unacceptable. How fucking dare she not remember him! Also, it would make this whole thing he was doing right now embarrassing as all hell.

Then her eyes, eyes so dark they could almost be black, flew so wide Arturo could see the whites all around them. He smiled as her mouth dropped.

She brought her hands up to cover her mouth. A pity, he rather liked a woman with red lipstick on and an open mouth. It tended to give him ideas, but Isla King seemed much too horrified to at the moment for him to be thinking about that.

"Now you remember me," he said.

She shook her head, her hands still covering her mouth. She spoke, but he couldn't really understand her until she took her hands away. "That's not...I didn't know who you were!"

"Does that matter?" Arturo asked.

"Yes, it fucking matters!" she snapped.

Interesting. He hadn't expected that. Everything he knew about her suggested she was something of a good girl. Arturo liked good girls. He liked making them go bad for him.

He hadn't expected her to curse at him. Well, he'd heard her curse before, but that was in a different context.

"Why does it matter? You told me to go and fuck myself."

And she'd done it with such a sweet, innocent smile on her face, right before she'd spun around and walked away. She hadn't given him the time of day after that, and it had pissed him off something severe, at first.

"I told you that after you asked me if I wanted to have sex with you!"

"So?"

"What do you mean, so? You can't just do that!"

"Why not?" Arturo was genuinely curious about this, and he kicked his legs off of his desk and marched over to her. His pants were still loose and hanging around his hips. He didn't bother to straighten them, not if this was how she was going to react around him. It was too damned good for him to not want to play into it.

Arturo watched the way Isla's throat worked as she swallowed, noted the way she wasn't aware of how she'd dropped her contracts to the floor as he approached.