Chapter Thirty-Seven - Ending It

What if he kicked her out? What if that was a test that she'd failed? He wanted to see if she would do it, clearly, but she hadn't done it. So that meant she'd failed the test, right?

She was contracted to let him do basically whatever he wanted to her, and she hadn't done what he'd wanted. He'd even arranged everything so that she'd still be safe and hidden away when she went down on him. No one would have seen her. No one would have been gossiping about what a slut she was.

Unless someone had seen her in the foyer. Had that been a trick, too?

Isla groaned, pressing her face tighter into the pillow beneath her. Everything would've been better if Arturo had just said that no one could see her. She would've believed it after he'd shown her the difference channels, proving it was a screen and not a real window, but he hadn't.

Why was she so heartsick?

Isla pulled her face out of the pillow just long enough to take a proper breath. The pillow was damp, and her eyes were wet, but she wasn't ever going to admit to crying, because she wasn't. That was stupid to cry. Crying required her to care. It required Arturo's stupid opinion to matter about anything other than his stupid shark-like business.

It didn't matter and neither did he. She was here because he wanted to embarrass her over telling him to fuck off that day.

The memory of it flashed briefly through her mind. Her shock over the gall he'd had. How she'd replied as haughtily as possible. It wasn't an easy thing to look her nose down on a man who was taller than she was, but she'd done it that day.

So Arturo brought her here to show her who was really in charge. To make her his plaything. He even suspected something about her plans to make him like her. He'd been in control the entire time.

She clenched the pillow to her face and body a little tighter, as if that would hide her away from the world.

If he'd wanted to embarrass her, to teach her a lesson for turning him away, why bother with the games? Why not just do it? Why fake so many things with the hockey game, the foyer, and then the window that wasn't actually a window? Why meet up with her parents?

She was so confused. She didn't like feeling like this. It was irritating.

Isla would never make a good businesswoman. She couldn't read people as well as she liked to think. She definitely couldn't read Arturo. He was so damned mean sometimes, but then...after she'd fallen...he caught her and kissed her.

She didn't understand. Now Isla was waiting around here to find out if she was going to get kicked out or not, because regardless of whether it had all been fake, she knew she didn't pass his test. How could she have?

Isla's phone started to vibrate somewhere. It was loud. Loud enough to make her pull her face out of her pillow.

Just to get blasted with the sunlight that streamed in through the windows. It was bright and it was morning. She'd fallen asleep in bed. That was shocking enough, but Isla glowered at the thought that she'd fallen asleep thinking about how she'd fallen asleep while thinking about Arturo, and how much he was confusing her and making her chest ache.

That was so annoying.

Her phone was right where she'd left it the night before, on her nightstand. She reached for it and saw Jane's picture before she brought it to her ear.

"Hey."

She let herself lie back down on the soft comforter and pillows. She didn't feel like getting up.