Chapter Fourteen - Arturo's Bedroom

Chapter Fourteen

There were no more staff members or servants down the wing that Arturo took her. It was completely in the opposite direction as her own room on the West end of this huge mansion. She didn't know if there was any significance to that, other than the fact that Arturo might not want her hanging around after the deed was done. He'd probably send her scampering back to her room when he had his way with her.

Even if Arturo turned out to be not the cuddling type, Isla was going to have to make it clear that she wasn't the sort of girl who got shooed away so easily.

She'd thought she could at least walk on her own, but Arturo didn't seem overly interested in letting go of her wrist.

He wasn't holding her hand, just her wrist. His strong fingers were clasped tightly around the bones of her wrist. She seriously thought she might be losing some blood flow there, but there was no way in hell she was about to complain about it to him.

For one thing, he might not let her go anyway. For another, he might let her go. He might let go of her wrist, and then he wouldn't be touching her anymore. She didn't want that.

Her heart beat raced in her chest, sending blood and heat rushing through her, especially when they stopped in front of a thick wooden door.

This couldn't be nerves. She wasn't entirely nervous. She'd already made peace with this. So what was this? Why was she so...breathless?

Arturo opened the door to his room, stepped inside, and then held it open for her. He seemed to be waiting for something.

Isla blinked, understanding dawning on her in that moment.

Oh, right. Idiot. She stepped into his bedroom, and the door closed softly behind her.

Isla took two more steps inside, looking around, and she blew out a long breath. "This is your room?"

"Yeah, I sleep here," Arturo said, as though it wasn't a big deal at all.

Holy shit, the house she'd grown up in could fit in this place.

Well, probably not entire, but Isla was willing to bet that it wasn't much of a stretch.

The ceiling was high. Higher than it probably should have been. It probably took up a whole other floor of this massive house. The windows were just as high, floor to ceiling, with what looked like a glass door built into the larger, arched glass that led out to a lit patio. The area she was in now looked more like a private sitting room. There was a leather couch, a love seat, and a matching reading chair off to her right. The reading chair was next to the fireplace, which was burning brightly, while the couch and love seat were placed around a large, and wide, square glass coffee table, that also sat in front of a flat screen television.

The thing she found the most strange about that was how utterly normal it looked. No projector popping down from the ceiling, and the TV wasn't so huge that it took up the entire wall, though it probably still cost a couple grand.