Chapter Twenty-Five - Black Sheep

Chapter Twenty-Five

What a terrible day, which was a total lie because she had the TIME OF HER FRICKEN' LIFE!

Okay, she needed to calm down. Isla had to shake her head a little, as though banishing whatever it was that was making her so happy and jittery, and then retype her text to Jane. She had to let her know all the details, even though Jane had probably watched the game on TV, and had also seen Isla and Arturo's steamy kiss.

Didn't matter. She needed to give her friend the play by play because she was too damned excited and there was no way she was going to calm down. At least not until her fingers texted all the excitement out of her. Jane had to know every last bit of information, what had happened during the game, and after.

Her team won. The first period, The Rogues scored two goals, but then The Capitals got one in, and the next period, they got in another. Third period ended and it went to overtime. They skated around the ice for a bit while Isla bit her nails and clenched her neck and butt, watching as the puck was taken right out of the stick from the captain of The Capitals. The stars had aligned. The Rogue's capital had a clear path, no one in his way, and the Capitals struggled to catch up, to stop him, but he took his shot, and the goalie couldn't stop him.

The entire stadium erupted in cheers.

Some people got to their feet to leave immediately after, hardly bothering to stay and watch the team embrace. Yeah, Isla knew that feeling of wanting to get out before the parking lot got bottle necked with traffic, but she was staying. She cheered and threw her arms around Arturo's neck and even kissed him.

His body tensed, as though her actions had shocked him, but that didn't throw off Isla. She was too excited and she was going to hug and kiss someone, and he was the closest one to her since he'd paid for the other seats to be empty.

Then she was back to cheering, yelling with the rest of the stadium and riding her high of excitement.

Isla was actually panting for breath when she stopped. The horns were still blaring and the lights still flashed as the teams shook hands and prepared to leave the ice.

Isla felt like a kid as she watched them. She almost didn't realize she was standing up with her hands on the glass, watching them get off the ice when she turned to look down at Arturo, who was still sitting in his seat, watching her.

He had an expression on his face that she'd never seen before, and definitely couldn't name.

She was a jewellery designer, not a writer or a face expression...person...whatever! Writer. She'd call it that. She didn't have the vocab to describe that thoughtful expression because she was too excited on the winning goal, and she hadn't made it her living to think about the way people looked.

"What's wrong?" she asked, looking down at herself. With her luck, one of her breasts might've popped out of her dress, nipple exposed as she leapt up from her seat.

No. Everything looked to be in working order.

Arturo just smiled at her. He smiled and shook his head before getting to his feet. "Nothing. Come on. I promised you would meet the team."

The reminder of his promise made her forget about that look he'd been giving her. She looped her arm through his and let him lead her to the door.

"Wasn't about to let you take me away after you promised me something as amazing as meeting the team."

It was insanely crowded when she and Arturo made it to the door. There were a lot of people trying to get to their cars, but for the first time ever, Isla didn't have to worry about that, because by the time she finished with the team, a lot of the crowd would be gone.