Chapter Forty-Two - END

Chapter Forty Two

Isla sat her in her chair for a long while after Sebastian left. She just stared down at her sketchbook, hardly able to move.

What Sebastian had said had got her thinking. Why shouldn't she call Arturo?

It wasn't like she would be doing anything wrong if she did call him. At the very least it could buy her some closure if he said that he didn't want to meet with her.

How could she hope to give Arturo, Orlando, Silvio, or even Sebastian any hope of closure if she couldn't give it to herself?

And okay, yeah, she was trying to find some noble angle to give to what she was thinking about doing. It was an excuse, but she was rolling with it. She did want Sebastian to contact Arturo and Silvio, but if she couldn't do it when she was suffering from a broken heart, how could she expect Sebastian to when he had years of turmoil and bitterness under his belt?

Isla pulled out her phone and opened her contacts list. She stared at Arturo's number. It felt like it was the first time she'd even looked at it in weeks.

It kind of was. She'd thought she was getting over him, but that conversation with Sebastian had brought everything all back, and now, staring at his name and number, those gloomy feelings intensified.

Isla's thumb hovered over the call button for about five seconds before she tapped the message button.

She was going to chicken out and send him a text, not call him.

So sue her.

It was a simple text, and she read it over a couple of times before hitting send.

Hey, how r things? Business is great. Wanted to thank you for that :)

Nothing strange about that at all. Nothing that showed any hint of pathetic desperation that would come from an ex.

She settled her phone back down on the table feeling pretty pleased with herself now that the ball was in his court. He could choose to respond, or say nothing at all.

It might even take him a couple of days to reply with his insanely busy schedule.

Isla opened her sketchbook and decided to finish colouring in her design, riding that small high when the screen of her phone lit up as it vibrated with a message.

Isla pulled her phone forward.

From Arturo. No fucking way.

That's great to hear. So glad everything's working out.

He even texted her with proper grammar. At least it looked proper. It was definitely better than what Isla and Jane sent to each other.

The problem was that there was no opening in what he'd sent her. His response seemed closed off, not inviting any sort of reply back that could start up into a conversation.

That could just be because he was in a meeting. He was a billionaire businessman. They spent a majority of their time in meetings.

Isla would send another text, just to let him know that she'd received and read the one he'd just sent.

Really appreciate what you did. Isla worked to keep her text from looking like a fourteen year old was typing it. I saw Sebastian today. He seems better. Wanted to wish me luck with the business.

She sent the text before she could really analyze what she'd said.

Maybe it hadn't been the best idea to mention that she'd seen Sebastian. Of course, she had said that he was better, but better from what? He wasn't suffering from some incurable illness.