Chapter Twenty-Seven - You Look Like Shit

The only good thing about the traffic on the way to Calendri Corp was that it meant Isla couldn't ask Sam to turn around and take her back to Arturo's house. Turning a limo around in a slow moving river of cars wasn't a simple thing. She couldn't chicken out.

When Sam finally dropped her off and waited until she was in the front door before driving off to the underground parking, Isla felt her entire body start to tremble.

And she'd been thinking Arturo was a coward. So much for that. Now she knew who the real coward between them was.

She was just going to suck it up. She was clutching her phone in her hand now. It had the reply text on it from Arturo. He was expecting her and waiting in his office.

No one stopped her for ID as she walked into the building. It wasn't like the first time she'd come in here, needing a verified appointment before she could get passed the second set of doors.

Now those same doors were held open for her, and the doorman, including the secretary behind the front desk, all smiled and nodded at her, like she was supposed to be here, like she was where she belonged.

She took the executive elevator, the one that only Arturo was allowed to use since it would take him immediately from floor one to floorI'm-Mr-Big-and-Important without having to worry about any stops on the way.

When she got to where she needed to go, Sylvia was still at her desk, she was on the phone with someone, but her gaze turned up when Isla approached.

"Excuse me," she said, and then pulled the phone away from her ear. "Just go on in. They're expecting you," she said to Isla.

Huh. Isla could actually get used to being treated like this. Sylvia didn't even buzz Arturo or anything. Of course, he really was expecting her, so it probably didn't matter.

Isla pushed against one of the heavy wooden doors. It was smooth and silent, but she was still careful, as though waiting for that door to let out a loud groaning shriek that would give away her position. So not what she wanted.

Not that it mattered anyway since Arturo was able to see her perfectly from his desk when she walked in. Him, and Orlando and one other dark haired man with chiseled good looks.

She almost froze on the spot, but then caught herself and quickly shut the door behind herself. "I'm here," she said, looking from Arturo to his two brothers. The second one had to be Silvio, if she remembered his name right. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were busy."

Arturo leaned his cheek on his fist. "I see that."

"Arturo," Orlando said softly, but he sounded so tired as he said it.

Arturo looked like a corpse. They all did. Well, not real corpses, but definitely something out of a Night of the Living Dead movie. The original where the actors all basically wore pasty makeup and had bags under their eyes. That's what he looked like. A cheap horror movie zombie.

Her first reaction to that was to be both repulsed and petrified for them. What had they been doing in here for all this time? Because now there was no doubt in her mind that Orlando and Silvio had spent three days and nights here, too.

Not that she wanted that to be heard in her voice. "Have you been sleeping at all?"

"Of course I have," Arturo said, leaning back in his leather office chair and crossing his arms over an expensive, no doubt tailored, shirt that had probably not been washed since he'd left for the office that day after the game.

Isla let her eyes roam over the workspace. The sofa on the far side of the wall certainly did look s though someone had been sleeping on it. There were even rumpled jackets thrown over the back, and the pillows were a mess.