Chapter Twenty-Six - Angry

Chapter Twenty-Six

Arturo had tried to ask her what had happened, what Sebastian had said, but there was no way in hell Isla was going to talk to him just yet. If she did, she was going to flip right the hell out. She was going to lose her mind with all the rage and anger inside of her, and she wasn't even sure yet if any of it was justified.

It still made for an awkward ride home. Sam even seemed to pick up on the fact that something was amiss, or he already knew.

Whatever. Isla just needed to be alone with her thoughts, but how in the hell was she supposed to think about anything when Arturo was sitting just right there! Looking at her? No longer asking questions, but she could almost hear the gears in his head turning.

"Your brother," Isla said, speaking for the first time since they'd gotten into the limo. Now they were almost home. "He's a shit disturber, isn't he?"

Arturo was silent for only a beat before he responded. "He likes to try and get back at me, Silvio, and Orlando. Thinks we made his childhood miserable."

Isla nodded. She supposed she was going to have to swallow that for her answer. It wasn't like there was anything else she could get out of him.

And what the hell had she expected him to say? That no, everything was fine and he and his brothers were all right as rain?

That was so not going to happen.

When the limo pulled up the stupidly long driveway and up to the front door, she reached for the door handle and nearly jumped out before the limo could even come to a full stop.

Arturo reached out and snagged her by the wrist, yanking her back before she could fall out of a moving vehicle.

Even though the limo wasn't moving so fast, falling on her face on the asphalt like that would've hurt like hell.

Arturo's angry snarl showed off the whites of his teeth and everything. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Did she try to jump out?" Sam asked, looking in his rearview before turning in his seat. "Are you out of your mind?"

Well, the limo was stopped now, so that meant she could finally get away from Arturo, from him and his asshole driver.

Isla pushed against Arturo's chest with both hands as hard as she could, separating them as Arturo fell back in his seat, and while he was angry and scrambling forward, Isla was busy running away.

Martina was at the door, a confused and worried expression on her face as Isla jumped out of the limo, nearly spraining her ankles on the damned high heels she wore, and they ended up falling off of her feet as she ran on by Martina, ignoring her questions.

She didn't care what this meant for her contract, and she didn't care if not sleeping with Arturo tonight meant going home with nothing. She didn't want to look at him right now.

And to think, barely five hours ago she'd been feeling sorry and guilty for the things he'd caught her saying.

"Isla!" Arturo yelled, inside of the house now as he chased her down. Isla ignored him as she ran up the stairs and down the hall to her room.

She slammed the door and locked herself inside, resting her back against the door and panting for breath.

Her heart slammed in her chest, her adrenaline high, her anger and embarrassment so strong as to make her want to cry.

The bastard. The absolute, fucking bastard!

He probably had a key to every single door, but Isla didn't care. She wasn't going to let him in here.