Chapter Thirty-One - Yelling Match Before a Date

Chapter Thirty-One

Something was definitely wrong here. It wasn't so much the fact that Arturo was acting different, it was...

Well, never mind. Yeah, that was it. He was acting different, and it was severely throwing her off.

Isla thought about it, about his behaviour as she stood in her room, going over her clothes that she could wear to dinner tonight with her parents.

It wasn't that he was being a cocky asshole who wanted to put her in her place. No, that stoic, strange behaviour he'd pulled off when she'd first walked into his office to beg. This was almost...defensive.

What did he have to defend himself from when it came to her? She'd already signed a contract, it wasn't like she could sue him for any of this even if she wanted to.

But then again, maybe he still thought she'd go to the press or something. Just because there was nothing she could do to legally get back at him didn't mean there weren't options open for her to turn the public against him. There was more than one way to destroy a man's reputation and his company.

But, like she'd said, that wasn't the angle she wanted to go with. She wasn't so mean that she'd accuse Arturo of doing something he didn't do, like abuse her, when he hadn't.

What could she have done to give him the impression that she would do something like that?

Isla looked over the shoes and the dress that she'd worn to the hockey game. There was no way she could bring those to a dinner with her family. Not after they'd seen her and Arturo necking in that dress.

She set the clothes aside and looked through the rest of her luggage. She'd purchased some pretty sundresses when she'd gone out with Jane. She wasn't wearing the dress she had on right now either. Meeting up with her parents in the dress that she'd had amazing sex in didn't exactly seem right either.

Okay, so the white one with the red and black flowers on it. That was pretty and casual enough, but still looked good enough to be worn in a fancy place.

She hoped. She had no idea what Arturo had in mind, or where he was going to take them all for their dinner.

Where could he take her parents that they hadn't already dinned at? Isla was more worried about people looking at her parents, eating with Arturo Calendri, and knowing what was up.

The average person wouldn't know Isla's family, or Arturo, but all the fanciest, most expensive restaurants fed the richest people in the city. Business people, the sort of people who knew who the Calendris and the Kings were. Well, mostly the Calendris. That murder trial had put the family on the map for a long time.

It was their opinions that Isla was worried about. Would they think her parents were meeting up with Arturo to beg for the company back? Isla didn't mind doing a little begging in private, but she really didn't want anyone to see her doing it in public, or to assume that's what her parents were doing, which they definitely were not.

Or just as bad, would they think Isla was doing, well, exactly what she was doing? Selling herself to get the company? She liked to think she was strong enough to handle the words of strangers, and she could to a certain extent, but if the entire city thought she was whoring herself out, that was different. That wasn't one or two, or a dozen people...that was an entire city.

Isla sighed, looked herself over in the mirror with the dress on, even though she'd tried it on several times in the store already, and decided that after she did her hair and found a respectable pair of heels, this would definitely be the dress she wore to dinner with her parents.