Chapter Eighteen - Very Impressive

Chapter Eighteen

Isla woke up the next day ready and raring to go. She practically hopped out of bed and to the connecting bathroom to shower, brush her teeth, and make sure her makeup looked sufficiently sexy. She was on a mission now, and she was determined to see it through.

She'd spent hours and hours last night doing google searches and looking for any connection her grandfather might have to Vincenzio Calandri. She'd come across nothing other than news articles about the takeover, and a few little things here and there about each man individually.

Of course, there was more about Vincenzio, and how he'd murdered his wife. The trial had been huge. So huge that Isla was shocked to have missed it. She wasn't much for courtroom drama, and didn't have an interest in turning a real life murder case into a television drama, but there had been a huge crowd outside of the courtroom the day he'd been sentenced.

Isla had been out of town when all of this had been going on, and her main problem had been trying to figure out if Chad Parker had been interested in her, and if she could get her jewellery made in time to meet the demand, not the murder of a wife by her billionaire husband ad the trial that had followed.

Without meaning to, Isla had started to search out Arturo's pictures as she'd browsed. He'd looked younger in some of his photos, and in others, when the trial had been going on, about the same. His hair had been shorter in some of the pictures. Of course he had to look like a complete sex God no matter how he kept his hair. The jerk.

All the same, she couldn't help but feel for him. One of his quotes after his father had been convicted, years after the murder had taken place, had been, "the bastard had it coming."

It made her shiver. Not the quote, not really. That she could understand, but the thing that really got to her had been thinking about him as a young man, still living with Vincenzio, the man who'd murdered his mother.

Had he suspected? Had he known? If he had and hadn't done anything about it, it was very likely that the media would've skinned him alive for it, so it was likely very safe to say that he hadn't known for sure.

But Arturo wasn't dumb either. He was a very intelligent man. As much as Isla was loath to admit it, he was smart enough to run his father's company after the man had gone away for the rest of his life. There was no way in hell that a man like Arturo hadn't suspected something.

That had to be hard. According to the articles Isla had read, he'd only continued to live with his father until Orlando was old enough to move out with him. Arturo had tried to take Orlando when he'd been fifteen, but because of his age, the courts wouldn't allow it. The third brother, Silvio Calendri, had been a wild child, even more so than Arturo, and he hadn't left until he'd turned nineteen.

Orlando hadn't been able to leave with his brother until he'd been seventeen and a half. That meant that Arturo had gone well into his twenties before finally moving out. He and Orlando had lived that long under the shadow of a man they highly suspected of murder for years.

The fact that Arturo had done that for his younger brother showed a softer, more protective side. Isla was determined to see only that, and not the grumpy, shady business man who wanted to get back at her for telling him off.