Chapter Nineteen - Not That Easy Stuff

Chapter Nineteen

Isla spun around, a few of her beads and stones went rolling across the table and landed on the floor, bouncing and shattering, some rolled into the corner.

Isla forgot all about being shocked over Arturo's sudden appearance.

"Shit!"

She placed her work carefully on the mat she worked on so nothing else would roll away, and then rushed over to pick up the beads and stones before they were lost forever in some hidden nook or cranny of the house.

It looked like only two of them had smashed, but a few others had cracked. Whatever, she could still use them and it would look more like a stylistic choice.

"I didn't see you there," Isla said, glancing over her shoulder as she scooped up the other colored stones.

To her shock, Arturo bent down and picked a couple up into his hand. "Caught you when you were working," he said, standing straight and looking at her necklace, at all the glittering pieces she'd been assembling, almost like a puzzle. "That's very impressive."

"Thanks," Isla said, not too happy to have dropped so many glass pieces and stones. She corrected herself quickly, however.

The way to win over Arturo, at least as a friend, wasn't by being pissy with him. "Uh, how long have you been standing there?"

"A few minutes," Arturo said, placing the stones and glass beads he'd grabbed onto the matt where they wouldn't roll away. "You did this for your grandfathers boutique."

"You know I did," Isla said, looking around quickly and finding nothing else. There were probably some more beads missing, but she got to her feet and returned what she'd found to the mat.

Because of how clean the floors were kept, there were no stray hairs or bits of dust on the glass. The broken pieces she'd have to either throw away, or find some way of using them that would look unique and interesting enough to attract a buyer.

"I'll have you reimbursed for the damages," Arturo said. He reached forward to take the glass. "I'll call someone to dispose of these."

"No."

Isla grabbed onto Arturo's hand without thinking. Both of her small hands wrapped around his much larger one.

His hand was warm, calloused in some places and stronger in others. Isla's heart beat so damned fast that her face heated like she was in front of a stove, putting her cheek as close to the red burner as it could go before it was unbearable.

The sound of her own heart was the only sound in her ears, and for whatever reason, her grip on his hand tightened, instead of just letting go.

Let go. Let go!

Isla finally let go, but the burning sizzle that was now in her palms, and heating her all the way up her arms and to her neck and face, remained.