Chapter Thirty-Eight - Contract

The alarm blared beside her head, but Isla barely noticed it. She had her head buried in the pillows of her bed, and she reached out in a futile attempt to knock that damned alarm clock off of her nightstand, but she couldn't reach it.

She let her arm drop back on the bed, not even bothering to look at how far away her hand still was from the offending object.

No point. Might as well leave it going. She was getting better at sleeping through the noise anyway.

Unfortunately, it seemed that Jane was not.

The door to Isla's room practically flew off its hinges. She flew up her in her bed, sending pillows and sheets flying with her as she stared at the attacker in her room.

Who was Jane. Jane, whose shoulders were shifting up and down as she took in deep gulps of air, who looked slightly less than human as she glared white hot daggers at Isla's face.

Isla was kind of scared. She wasn't going to lie to herself about that.

Jane panted like a mad woman, and her hair was all over the place, as though she'd just attempted to pull it all out mere minutes before. Her eyes were also a little on the crazy side.

"What. The fuck. Is with. That noise?" she panted.

"Noise?" Isla's eyes slowly drifted to the side, to where her alarm clock blared at her in an obnoxious digital sound.

Isla only just then realized that her computer was also crowing like a rooster, and her phone was making little jingling noises as it vibrated on the floor.

Apparently, Isla had forgotten that in an attempt to actually get herself out of bed at a decent hour and keep herself from moping, she'd set everything she owned that had an alarm on it.

If she'd owned a wrist watch, then it very likely would have been beeping right about now, too.

Isla flew to the nightstand and clicked off everything. "I'm sorry! I forgot that I set all these!"

"Well, turn them off!"

"I am, I—gah!" Isla let out a very unladylike scream as her legs got tangled up in the sheets of her bed, and she went down hard on the floor.

She barely put her hands out to catch herself, but even still her whole body went down, and she officially became a crumpled mess on her own bedroom floor.

She still scrambled for her phone, however, and she slid her thumb across the screen, turning off the alarm before it could let out one more ringing beep.

The silence was almost worse than the noise. How had she not noticed it had been so loud? Jane obviously noticed.

Isla carefully turned her head up to look at her friend.

The shadow that hung over Jane was more than a little scary. "I was up all night finishing my chapters."

"Right, I'm so sorry," Isla said, and she was sorry. She knew that Jane sometimes had to pull all nighters just to get the work done that she wanted. Isla had woken up numerous times before, to either use the washroom or get some water, just to walk by Jane's room and see the glow from her computer, listening to the soft clicking of her keyboard.

It wasn't exactly healthy, and it left Jane exhausted whenever she had to do these, but if Jane didn't do them, she'd never finish any of her books which, according to her, made her current job of working in a coffee house worth it.

Jane looked pretty damned exhausted right now, and irritable. As soothing and comforting as Jane had been when Isla had come home without an explanation, there was none of that patience for her right now.