Chapter 5

Diamond

"Diamond, isn't this dress lovely?" My mom asks, showcasing a poofy dress in my direction.

"Yeah, yeah sure." I wave off, not paying attention.

Mom shakes her head in disappointment and returns the gown.

"I know you do not appreciate the way this wedding is going but at least choose the gown of your dream."

"Gown of my dreams?" I repeat staring at her. "Why choose the gown of my dreams when I am not marrying the man of my dreams."

"Diamond, don't make a scene dear. Not here." Mom mumbles and looks around the store. "Choose something you like dear."

"Whatever mom," I reply and walk off to another section of gowns.

Mom has this extravagant vision of Liam and me falling in love and living happily ever after. I called her out on her ridiculous dream but she still holds hope that we will be happy.

Despite my constant rejection of this wedding, it remained scheduled. No matter how many times I tried to make them see reason, my parents did not budge. Neither did the Parks.

Now I'm stuck wedding dress shopping for a wedding I'm objecting to.

My eyes roam around the stacks of dresses in disinterest. A gown behind a red dress catches my eye and I walk over to it.

A small gasp leaves my lips as I examine the dress. A gorgeous white gown with an asymmetrical waist hung on its hanger. It had a sleek sweetheart neckline with glitter surrounding it. No lace, just silk.

Gorgeous.

"What a lovely dress!" Mom exclaims, placing her hands on my shoulders in excitement.

Not bothered by my response she calls for one of the dressers to take down the dress for my fitting.

"It suits you very well my dear." Mom compliments warmly. "Perfect for your wedding."

I stare at myself in the full-body mirror. It really did look good on me.

I pass a sarcastic smile to mom. "It would be perfect for my wedding. If I actually wanted it."

"Don't be like that dear." Mom begs.

"Like what? Is stating my feelings too much?"

"No, it isn't." She stumbles on her words. "I want what's best for you Diamond."
I scoff a bitter feeling churning in my stomach. "This wedding not happening would be what's best."

Mom doesn't respond but looks at me with a sympathetic smile as the curtains close around me, allowing me to change.

"So how was the wedding dress hunt?" Aya asked eating her ice cream.

"It went well."

"Found anything you liked?"

I give her an "Are you serious?" look.

"What? I'm just asking."

"Yeah."

"And did you get it?"

"Yeah."

"That's good." She responds awkwardly.

I look at my ice cream and start mixing it with my spoon to pass time.

"If it makes it any better, I'm sure Liam will appreciate your beauty in the dress."

"Yeah but that's the problem," I say with a sigh.

"Why?"

"Because I don't want Liam to see me in that dress, I want the one I love, my soulmate to see me in that gorgeous thing."

"Lionel?"

I don't reply.

"Diamond." She sighs. "You need to stop thinking about him."

"Why should I? I am about to marry a random man I met a few months ago. I'm getting married to him in less than two weeks and I don't even love him. Lionel is the one I want. I feel so guilty that I'm marrying someone who isn't Lionel and I know that Liam will never reach his level."

"What if he goes above it?"

"What?"

"I said what if Liam is better than Lionel?"
"No, he isn't."

"Why do you say that even if you don't know Liam." Aya blurts out. "Yes, you guys don't know each other. But avoiding him or passing a few words here and there won't make you know him. You have to sit down and have a proper conversation with him. Who knows? You two might have more in common than you think."

"I could care less about his interests." I huff, annoyed. "I hate him actually."

"Why, what did he ever do to you?"

"He's getting in my way, I'm not supposed to marry him."

"You are being unfair Diamond!" She huffs angrily, "Liam did not want this marriage either! He too is in a similar position like you. It is not his fault for this wedding. You can't blame him when he can't do anything about it."

"You seem fond of him Aya," I say calmly making her lift an eyebrow. "Why don't you marry him instead?"

Aya stares at me not responding.

I take in a deep breath my hands tightening in my braids. "I can't do this Aya."

Aya reaches to me. "You can. Just give Liam a chance. He might be the one for you."

I shake my head in disagreement.

"What are you afraid of Diamond? If you stay married for a while you can request a divorce and the paparazzi will leave you alone."

I continue silent my head pounding.

"You might even fall for him." She repeats once again.

I look her straight into her eyes making her eyes widen in some sort of realization.

"Diamond, you are not afraid of falling for Liam. You are afraid of being in love with someone who's going to leave. Your mind has already set a goal to hate Liam for everything he does. You also think that if you fall for someone you're betraying Lionel. She takes in a breath.

"Look it's not your fault if you fall for someone else. That bastard literally wrote you a letter asking you to wait for him and boom it's been three years and he hasn't come back. He hasn't contacted you for three years and heavens know what he is doing. He could probably be having fun with other women or probably have found another partner. Diamond I know you miss him I know you do but Lionel isn't worth the wait. It's time to move on to someone better. Someone who is going to take care of you. Someone who is going to love you. And in my opinion Liam seems like the one."

"But he is going to come back, he promised." I manage to defend, weakly.

"How long are you going to wait?"

"I'll wait forever if I have to."

"Diamond give Liam a chance not to be your lover but your friend that's all I'm asking."

"You're the only friend I need though."

"You will see how much of a good person Liam is, just give it time." She urges.

"Okay."

Suddenly feeling tired, I mutter a weak excuse to Aya and head back home, my mind returning to the conversation.

Is Aya correct?

Am I truly afraid of falling for Liam?

Will I ever fall for you, Liam Park?

~~~

Someone tell her...

Vote
Comment
And
Follow

Insta: jseraphina_writes
Website: selflivingcare.home.blog