39 | My person

It was the next morning, and my naked body was intertwined with his

It was the next morning, and my naked body was intertwined with his. My sheets hung from my lower hip and covered his bottom half, my head laid against his chest while his hand casually combs through my red locks. I've now discovered my favorite sound, and it's his heartbeat and the way he calmly breathes.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked, my voice coming out as a mere whisper.

"You, I'm always thinking about you." He says, softly.

I smiled, my stomach was fluttering with butterflies. My body slid across his, my arm flipped my hair across to my other shoulder. "Penny for your thoughts about me?"

His fingers were still combing through my hair but his eyes were staring right at mine this time, he held eye contact without looking away for even a second.

"Your eyes, your hair, your smile, your flowery scent, your laugh."

My smile grows larger, it makes me happy that he's so mesmerized by me. "I know, I know, I'm pretty mesmerizing." I said, playfully.

"It's hard being this irresis-"

"How much I want you to marry me, how much I want you to have my last name." He said, bluntly.

My smile slowly faded away, and so did the butterflies. The atmosphere switched from a sweet, goofy one to a more serious one which made me want to sit up and focus. I see it in his eyes, he was being dead serious with me right now and that frightened me just a little. His hand stopped combing before carefully slipping under my chin, lifting my chin so my eyes were more visible to his.

"Is that such a crazy thought, darling?"

I was silent for a couple of seconds, my eyes were blinking nonstop along with my mouth slightly parted. His thumb stroked my chin waiting for a response or a body movement that'd reveal my feelings. I want to be scared but I can't, I've loved him this entire time and he no longer scares me. My therapist told me that I was the one standing in the way of my happiness, and I don't want to anymore.

"It's not crazy." I whispered, gently.

He exhaled in pure relief, his head falls back just a little. "There's something I've been keeping from you."

He gently removes my body from his, curiosity filled my eyes as my eyebrows scrunched together. He reached inside the back pocket of his pants pulling out a small white box, my eyes harden on the box that could possibly hold something I once feared. His thumb skimmed over the box that was in perfect condition, freshly new, and unopened.

He turned back around, his eyes connecting with mine. My breathing slowed down along with his, my eyes fluttered to the box between us with my mouth parting slightly.

"I've carried this box for nearly five years." He whispered, quietly and his words somehow brushed against my cheeks. "That day when we lost our baby, I was on my way to give you this but I couldn't and I'm sorry."