40 | Her letter

I had on a black dress that reached just below my knees, my leggings had polka dots on them with a sheer black color along with dainty black heels

     I had on a black dress that reached just below my knees, my leggings had polka dots on them with a sheer black color along with dainty black heels. My jewelry is gold matching my ring that I couldn't stop looking at, I clipped on my last thick hoop earring before tucking my hair behind my ear. Kaz emerged from my bathroom, clipping his cuffs with his hair freshly done.

I stared at him through my mirror, my brother let him borrow one of his suits for the funeral along with a black coat to keep him warm outside. I stood up taking a second glance at my appearance before walking to him, his hands gently grabbing both my hips.

"Are you alright, baby?" He asked, his voice melting like butter.

I smiled, sadly. It's a confusing question for me, I've lost both my parents and I didn't care about losing one but my mom, my mom it's different because I felt pain for her and I don't know why.

"I loved her, even if she didn't love me." I whispered under my breath, his touch softened against my body.

"I'm sure she loved you." He responded, I wanna believe that but the truth is, I never knew my mother.

There was a knock on my door, I pulled away from him to open the door. My brother stood outside the door, dressed in black with a wall so high I couldn't see any real emotions about our mother. He had a white envelope between his hands, his eyes didn't manage to catch mine.

Kaz walked closer to us, his arm wrapped around my waist trying his best to comfort me.

"Mom left one for me too but I didn't read it, I burned it." He said, his eyes finally looking at mine. He didn't reveal anything, his face was stern with his fingers wrapped around the white paper. "I don't want to take your choice away, so no matter how much I want to protect you from this, I can't not entire you decide."

My eyes fell to the envelope, they hardened on her handwriting that spelled my name perfectly and correctly, I didn't even know she knew how to write my name.

"Why did you burn it?" I asked, hoping it'll give me some type of peace or relief.

"Because no matter what she has to say, it'll never make up for what she allowed to happen to me, to you." He said, his lips tucking together. "I could forgive everything that happened to me, but with you, I can't."

"You're my little sister, my responsibility and if I have to hate someone forever for you, I will without a doubt."

He holds out the envelope, his fingers had a strong grip on it. My eyes were watery, and probably red filled with confusion. My hand slowly reached out and wrapped around it, my heart was beating so fast. I brought the envelope to my stomach, my brother ran the back of his hand across his nose while clearing his throat.

"I need to go get Enzo ready." He says, his voice choppy and he tried clearing his throat again before giving up.

He left without sparing me another glance, my breathing was harsh and my eyes were even harsher. Kaz ran his hand against the back of my head, his touch was soft before he leaned over and pressed his lips to my forehead. My eyes shut, and a tear fell down my cheek.