44 | The end

Two years later

Two years later

           I spent all morning decorating our patio while my sister-in-law spent it baking and setting up the treat table and food table. I tightened the pink bows that held two piggy tails in my daughter's head, her bright ginger hair was naturally curly at the ends. She was born with a bunch of hair, and to our surprise she had my natural color hair but she also had her father's eyes.

My daughter's name is Loren, and she's everything I've ever dreamt of and more. I cry at night just thinking about her, I've never prayed before but now with this gift I've received, I pray every night for my little girl. I don't understand how parents sometimes don't love their children, my love for her is greater than anything I've ever felt.

After the wedding, we bought a bunch of land and my husband built me my very own house, just like I've always pictured in my dreams. It was white, huge with green detailing, and instead of a pool there was a huge patio with a family dining table in the middle. So for her first birthday, we wanted to have something really small with just our family and my brother's family, our backyard was practically a zoo with all her favorite animals.

I picked her up and walked downstairs while she twirled her finger in my hair, she's a huge momma's girl. Jules was finishing off the cake when she lifted her head, her eyes lit up once she saw her niece.

"Look how precious you are." She forgot all about the cake and moved closer to us, she immediately pitched her cheeks.

Loren reached for her, she loves her auntie and especially since Jules gives her any sweet thing her little heart desires. I grabbed the cake and walked outside, everything was all set up and perfect. I spotted my husband all the way at the petting zoo, he was dressed in a white tank with a pink button-up that was short-sleeved paired with white pants. I watched as he ran his hand along the horse, I picked up the end of my dress and walked along the long grass towards him.

"A penny for your thoughts?" I said while running my hands along his back, and wrapping them around his waist.

His hands gently grabbed mine, lacing his fingers with mine and leaning over to peck my cold hands. "It's been almost 6 years since I last saw him, what if he hasn't forgiven me yet?"

"He agreed to come, that's a good sign." I replied, softly.

He nodded his head, there was still so much doubt in him that I wanted to ease it all. There wasn't a single day my husband didn't think about his son, every year for Bodhi's birthday he always sends a funny card with cash inside but it's always been returned back to sender but this year, it wasn't. So I called him and as awkward as that was I asked if he wanted to make an appearance at Loren's birthday, he was standoffish at first but agreed.

I want to mend their relationship and what I have broken years ago, today felt like a good day.

"What if he's mean to Loren?" He asked, all his worries were coming to the surface.