An Old Promise

Izuru Kamukura POV

The room was dead silent. Chiaki Nanami's body is surely growing cold at this point. Her blood pooled around her.

And yet... he's still cradling her as though it will accomplish anything. I know very well that F/N is close to breaking after witnessing the death of Chiaki. Even I can't say for sure what will happen when he does...

"You care more about comforting a deceased person than tending to your own wound?" I pointed out the stab wound he received on his abdomen. Mikan Tsumiki must have been the one to have done it, it was the only way to slow him down. I'm sure Chisa also attacked him to prevent him from saving Chiaki.

Still... I'm quite surprised he's still conscious after all this. I suppose Junko miscalculated heavily.

"F/N. You lied greatly about your physical capabilities to the entire school and made Junko underestimate you. Even when an entire class worth of reserve course students was sent to deal with you as a group, you still defeated all of them." His strength is nothing to ignore, for most people anyway. And yet...

"But no matter how strong you are, you are bleeding out. If you don't fix that wound soon, you will die." I pointed it out to him. I'm sure he understood regardless of my words.

"..." No response. F/N still held Chiaki in his arms. He was facing away from me, so I can't see his expression, but I'm sure he's wondering what he could've done to fix this.

For a moment, even I thought she could have actually survived, since F/N warned her about the final trap and about Chisa. Because of that, the spear that should have pierced through her very core simply went through her shoulder. She moved out of the way, so when she fell, the spikes of the floor only went through her left arm and leg.

And despite things going slightly differently, she still died.

As I was thinking about how close F/N was to overcoming Junko after all his scheming, I noticed something on the floor.

Chiaki's hair clip had fallen off her head and was now lying in her blood. I bent down and picked it up. Holding it in my fingers, I stood up straight and stared at this.

This hairclip is modelled after the space ship in... huh?

My vision became somewhat distorted, as though I was looking through a foggy lens. When I raised my hand and brushed my fingers under my eyes... I felt tears.

I'm crying? Me?

Why?

Is... is this the influence of my past self causing this? Is that why I'm...?

"Izuru." F/N finally spoke again. He was breathing heavily, likely from the pain of his wound.

"..."

F/N reached into his coat and pulled out a pistol. That was the same pistol he likely used to shoot Chisa. I'm sure he got it from one of the reserve course students when he fought them. They all were armed with numerous weapons when they came after F/N.

"You understand... how much I hate Junko... Enoshima, don't you?" I nodded in response to F/N's question.

"No matter what, she's the person I can't forgive more than anyone else..." F/N began.

"You know that this world... a world that can allow despair like this to exist... is something I hate." I was aware of that, yes.

"I want you to side with me from now on, Izuru." F/N pointed his gun at one of the many cameras. "Help me defeat Junko, Izuru. You have seen the things despair can do, and I understand that despair is necessary to right this world. But... hope isn't something we can overlook. It is the whole purpose of your existence after all."