Chapter Twenty

3rd Person POV

After Makoto split off from Aoi after the nighttime announcement, he was about to get right to bed had he not remembered something important.

"Ah, that's right. I need to put away the knife that I got from Toko…" Makoto looked around the room for a second before deciding the safest place for it would be in his desk drawer. Once that was dealt with, his mind wandered back to everything that happened at the dining hall. He laid down on his bed and thought about Kyoko.

"Is Kyoko really gonna be okay? She can't get into her room. What's she gonna do...? Isn't there something I can do...?"

"Something I can…." Makoto's mind slowly started to fade as drowsiness took over.

...

*Ding dong*

"...Nng?" Makoto's eyes opened as a sound pierced through the silence. He'd fallen asleep before he even realized.

"Did I hear… the doorbell...?" Makoto dragged himself out of bed and walked over to the door. When he opened it, Kyoko was just standing there waiting for him.

"K-Kyoko...?" Makoto exclaimed.

"I'll be waiting for you in the dressing room... See you there." Without acknowledging Makoto, Kyoko disappeared into the depths of the darkened hallway.

"H-Hey, wait! Kyoko!" She was already gone. Makoto sighed and left his room as well.

"I can't just not go…" Makoto decided to follow after her and headed over to the dressing room.

****

"You're here." As expected, Kyoko was already waiting for Makoto when he arrived.

"Sorry for asking you to meet with me so late."

"It's okay. I'm used to it." Makoto couldn't even be bothered to get upset with her for this.

"...Indeed." Kyoko hums.

"Well then, let me get straight to the point." She was going to start explaining, but Makoto spoke first.

"It's something you can't talk about in front of the surveillance cameras, right? So does that mean...? Does this have something to do with whatever it is you stole from Monokuma?"

"..."

"Monokuma told us earlier that someone had stolen something from him. Was it you...?"

"...That's right." Kyoko nods her head

"So I was right... But what did you steal?"

"I stole this…" Kyoko pulled out a small key that was shaped like Monokuma. Makoto thought it looked like an ugly key, but he was more focused on its use than its looks.

"A… key? Where did you get this…?" Makoto asks.

"From the headmaster's room."

"What!? You snuck into the headmaster's room!? But… wasn't it locked?" Makoto recalls.

"The lock was broken."

"What...?"

"It was Sakura. She did it for us…"

"She did...?"

"Remember what she said in her note? "I'm not going to just lay down and die. I will fight you..." This is what she meant." Kyoko tells him.

"So… Sakura broke into the headmaster's room for us?"

"That's right. So that we could uncover whatever secrets might lay hidden within…"