Chapter Twenty Three

3rd Person POV

"Ugh.... what a horrible smell." Makoto groans as he stares up at the ceiling. He finally woke up after who knows how long.

The area he found himself in was some kind of dark cavern. The only thing in this place were piles of garbage surrounding Makoto.

"So Hope's Peak has some kind of underground garbage pit...?" Makoto stood up, looking around the area to find an exit. He came across a large door, but it was locked, and without any kind of key he wasn't going to open it anytime soon. Other than that, and an airplane that Makoto has no idea how it got down here, there was nothing of note, especially not an exit.

"I'm... completely trapped here." Makoto mutters to himself. Fear was starting to set in. "Am... am I going to just waste away here until I die?"

Makoto smacked himself and shook his head to push away these thoughts. Being afraid wasn't going to help.

"No, I can't let that happen...! Not after what my good friend went through to save me!" He remembered what happened just before he fell down in this place. Alter Ego had saved him at the very last second.

"Then... he really is alive and was able to get some access to the school's network." Makoto concluded. "But that must've taken a lot out of him, so I can't let that go to waste!"

"That said... getting out of here isn't gonna be that easy so I should at least try looking for food."

Of course, all the food he came across was old and rotten. Completely inedible obviously.

"Maybe finding water will be better."

For a lucky student, his search was completely unlucky.

"How can I be sure which liquids I can drink, and which ones are an all-around bad idea...?" Makoto asked himself as he tossed a bottle filled with rancid liquid behind him.

"I feel like I'm blocked in on all sides. But that's still not enough reason to give up. Because...! Because I'm still alive! As long as I'm alive, I'll never give up!"

With both those avenues blocked off, Makoto made this proud declaration and did the only thing left he could do in this situation.

"Time to sleep." Makoto laid on the floor and closed his eyes, allowing the exhaustion in his body to take over.

He had no clue how long he was resting, but that slumber was interrupted by a crashing noise nearby, jolting him awake.

"W-What the-?!"

Makoto stood up, noticing a brand new trash pile had appeared.

"Did a giant piece of trash just fall down here...?" Makoto asks himself as he carefully stretches his hand out toward whatever it was that had tumbled down here with him...

"A giant piece of trash? Rude." A voice calls out from inside the trash pile.

"People these days have no respect for their saviors...?" Another voice spoke up.

Before they even emerged from the pile of garbage, Makoto knew exactly who they were

"This place smells awful." Kyoko Kirigiri says as she stands up out of the pile of trash. She looked around and saw just how much garbage was around.

"What did you expect? Dandelions and roses?" F/N asks in a sarcastic manner as Kyoko helps pull him out of a separate pile of trash

"K-Kyoko!? F/N!?" Makoto exclaims in shock at the appearance of his classmates.

"You look like you're doing better than I expected..." Kyoko mentions

"You're alive at the very least." F/N adds