Wild Things

So, about a month or so ago, I had a random idea for a FNAF AU where Sun and Moon were organic critters. From there, I developed the idea that Sun and Moon were brothers captured by humans as kits and then separated, with Moon escaping back to the wild early on while Sun remains in captivity and is domesticated, forgetting his old life in the wild as well as his brother.

Because of that, I decided to start with drawing Moon so I'd know how their species looked. I did that maybe a day or two after the initial idea, then I faltered when it came to Sun because I didn't know how to pose him. Today, I was looking at the base and said frick it, he'll have a similar stance to Moon so I can just get to designing him.

 Today, I was looking at the base and said frick it, he'll have a similar stance to Moon so I can just get to designing him

(Edit: I added more spots, placed on the base of his tail, his legs, his thighs/hips, and his elbow and shoulder.)

For starters, we have Moony! In the AU, despite being wild, critters can take human clothes and stuff to wear for the enjoyment of it. This was mainly an excuse to give Moon his signature blue headwear with stars.

I kept them very slight-looking to match their animatronic forms, and Moon's got a bit of fluff in spots because his fur is naturally longer/puffier in spots. For the tail, I went with my favored long tail that ends in a puff to mimic the bell tail design. I also gave him long, narrow ears kinda like a jackal.

And of course, Moon had to have claws. Not only are they normal for a wild critter of his species, but Moon with claws is just natural to me. And claws are a lot easier for me to draw than normal fingers, weirdly enough.

 And claws are a lot easier for me to draw than normal fingers, weirdly enough

(Edit: I added more spots in the same places as Moon's were

(Edit: I added more spots in the same places as Moon's were. Though, I actually added more spots on Sun first then edited Moon after him.
Also, the second picture with his arm removed is simply meant to show off his pants and patterning on his chest/stomach area! Canonically he still has both arms in the AU.)

Next, we have our beloved Sunnydrop! Although, I could absolutely thump his ears for how much of a nightmare making him look right was. I spent so, so long on his face and his mane in both the lineart and coloring stages. Like yesterday's art, it was mainly the expression that wasn't right. Of course.

Aside from the mane and colors, Sun's differences developed from his domestication. His claws are consistently trimmed, his fur is kept short for ease of cleaning, his teeth have been surgically dulled, and his tail was docked so kids couldn't grab and yank on it. (I mean, they still can, but not so easily as they could had his tail stayed long.)

And as I'm sure you can tell, Sun is used as a daycare attendant! The exact details as to how that works and why are still fuzzy, because originally he was just going to be a circus animal. I changed it today for the drawing. x'D I don't know if it's the Pizzaplex daycare or the daycare of another facility, either.

---

For the main story of the AU, I have some basic ideas but they're not totally set in stone? I mainly want Moon and Sun to be reunited as adults, with Moon being captured again and brought to the daycare for work. Then he recognizes Sun right off the bat and resolves to rescue him from captivity. I bet that could happen during a fire, with the two escaping out to the wild.

But Sun isn't used to being wild anymore, so the change is understandably upsetting. He wants to go home, but Moon either convinces him to give it a chance or forces him to stay, all while promising to take care of him. And then I guess it would just be little "episodes" of their time together.

I even imagined a spinoff story for a SAMS version of this, involving Lunar and Eclipse. For that, I'm thinking Eclipse is a domesticated critter who's owner uses him in illegal animal fighting, but he relishes in the thrill of fighting and prides himself on being powerful.

Lunar (born wild) is bought by Eclipse's owner as a "sparring buddy." Problem is, Lunar doesn't want to fight. And Eclipse is very offended by the notion that he'd need a sparring partner to stay in shape. So in the middle of the night, since his cage isn't secure (because he's never tried to run away) he opens it up and tells Lunar to scat. Lunar does so gladly. In the morning owner is like "Where did Lunar go??!" and Eclipse is like "-shrugs-"

Then, Eclipse is injured in a fight and his owner makes some disparaging remark that implies Eclipse is weak/getting soft, and hoo boy Eclipse does not like that. He decides the perfect way to prove himself is to live on his own in the wild for a little bit. Except, very early on in his quest he runs into Lunar and Bloodmoon, who decide to take him in since he's injured and he helped Lunar. And whoops, after a while Eclipse figures out he likes these little weirdos and he likes being wild, so. Yeah.

I do want to write that one as well, and I do want to do designs for them, but they'd probably be bust drawings because A. Moon is reference enough to what they'd look like from the chest down and B. ... Laziness. Except, Bloodmoon would definitely be a two-headed, two-tailed critter like an Aberration from Flight Rising. >:3c

Anyhoo! That's all I've got for now, I hope you enjoyed the art and my rambling! I liked writing it down because it helped me figure things out.