Wild Things, Part Two

I have more critters!! As I mentioned before, I wanted to do some designs for the funky boys of SAMS, and I surely did! I stayed up late last night working on Eclipse, then I spent most of today on Lunar and Bloodmoon.

Here they is! Here is them! I'm very happy with them all, designing them was fun. And I'll be going over their design processes and such in order, so! We start with the parasite in my brain, Eclipse.

As I mentioned in the last chapter, he's used in illegal animal fights and he has been for a very long time. He's got plenty of scars and battle damage to show for his career, and they're quite visible thanks to all his fur- bar his mane- being cropped very short, basically a little layer of fuzz for ease of maintenance. Additionally, his tail is a lot shorter than Sun's, being a little nub, like his right ear. Though, he can still hear out of it just fine, as the damage is only surface-level.

The same can't be said of his left eye, though. The fight that left those scars impaired his vision- I haven't decided to what extent, but while he can kind of see out of that eye, it's not great and he tends to keep people on his right side. If you ask about it, he just scoffs and says, "You think this is bad? You should see the other guy."

Also I don't know how I managed to draw his decently crossed arms. What the heck.

- Next, we have Lunar! Lunar the beaniest bean, he nom he tail like a snow leopard. X3c

I did debate for a bit on if I wanted to base his critter form on my cloudy design or on his new model in the show. But in the end, I decided to go for my cloudy design because in the story, he was bought under the pretense of being Eclipse's training partner- I don't know why he would be if he were a little thing.

Also with Lunar comes the addition of a lot- and I mean a lot more spots than we saw on Sun and Moon. I placed them on both cheeks, the base of his ears, all along the top side of his tail right to the puff, and over his chest. I decided to do this because A. it's freakin' cute, and B. it means he a little youngin', still! Not baby young, but definitely still an age that ends in "teen." Seventeen or eighteen, at the very least.

(In the show I imagine he's closer to Eclipse's age, but in the AU I wanted to add some variation to some of their ages.)

Originally, I was going to add variation in their species by giving Lunar long, floppy ears like a bunbun, but I didn't like how it looked, so I stuck with the jackal ears. Besides, looking at them all, I think there's enough variation already. XD

- Lastly, we got Bloody 1 and 2, the collective Bloodmoon! I knew from the very start I wanted to make them a verifiable freak of nature, so! Two heads, two tails, four limbs, like an Aberration on Flight Ris...

Actually, I realized after I finished drawing that I messed that last bit up. x'D I gave them six legs. Four forelegs and two hind legs. Whoopsy daisy, we're leaving it because I like it too much to change it!

I also made Bloodmoon the one exception to a little rule I'd set in my head- that the nighttime subspecies of these critters couldn't have manes like the daytime ones. Solely because of the Aberration dragons on FR having manes, you understand. I like them a lot. And originally, I was going to color it after their pants- red with white stars, buuut that looked very weird and inorganic. So I swapped it out for blood drips! Is it just as inorganic looking as the stars? Probably! Is it less weird? To me, yes!

To give visual variation between the two heads, I varied their cheek fluff, extended the mane to at the top of one's head (like a Flareon) and made slight changes to the look of the markings around their eyes. The upper head has a mark with a more aggressive curl and a little spot at the upper corner of his eye. The lower head has a less aggressive curl.

Additionally, they both have different mouth forms, which is not me being weird and switching stylization between drawings (it was but SHH-) it's simply variation among the species! The upper head has exofangs, which are bone formations covered in thin fur that lends the impression of colored tusks. Additionally, a critter with exofangs has a set of inner teeth placed normally within their mouth.

Meanwhile, the lower head has a normal mouth like Lunar and Sun. Since Bloodmoon and Lunar are wild, their fangs are intact, as well as their claws. (Additionally, Eclipse keeps both because he needs them for fighting.)

Also, they have jewelry! At first I was just going to leave them without, but it felt weird for Bloodmoon to remain undecorated- especially among Lunar and Moon, other wild critters who have some accessories. So I gave them star earrings based on the symbols in their eyes (that are there in canon) alongside some rings and studs. All in a kinda rose gold color.

Final notes: Ayo, this is my first time drawing Bloodmoon! Their anatomy is horrid under all that fur, I assure you, but I'm still pleased with how they turned out. X3 Second, the upper head is the Bloodmoon that's voiced by EC_Universal and the lower head is the one that's voiced by the Invisible Davis.