answers?

It's a quiet Saturday afternoon. There is no sound coming from the house, just a little chaos from the city. At the weekend it is always like this; you can hear people screaming, car honking, music and everything that applies to Milan centre.

I am sitting at my desk, checking on the slides I have left to study and wondering when I did my last break, so I can have a new one. I have tried my best to study at least half of those but I ended up studying just five of them and half are twenty.

I haven't texted Kevin yet. I don't know what to tell him, since I have always been bad at texting someone, especially when I am the first one. Antonio knows it, in fact, we most of the time call each other and the same with my father. I don't have any other friends, so I don't mind texting. But now I have to and I also have to find a way to do it. I mean, he also didn't text me but I am not overthinking about that. I am not the type of person that thinks men should always do the first step. He could be busy, working or, like me, afraid to text first.

So I decided to have a break and I catch my phone. While I do that, I also stand up so I can go to the kitchen and make myself some bread with Nutella to eat while studying. But then when I open the empty chat, my mind quickly blankly. What am I supposed to write? How do you start a conversation? Just hi?

I huff while taking the sandwich bread and the Nutella. I wish I could be more confident and less overthinker. Then I just type the most cliché and stupid words that someone can write in a text.

So, I am bad at starting conversations, so I will say: Hi.

After my text, he still hasn't been online for a second. I think he is working, even if I don't know what he does. After telling me that he cut off the job with his father, he didn't mention what is his new job. And I didn't ask. So, if he is working, probably can't see the phone.

I keep making my bread with Nutella, while I also make myself some more coffee.
Ah, university student life.
Then my phone rings and I quickly take it, to read from whom is the text.

Kevin

Hi

I stay still while looking at the reply. It is so poor that I don't know what else to say. I mean... A conversation can go on with how are you, what are you doing and stuff like that, but I was expecting something more. But then something more arrived.

Kevin

Is that you in the little photo?

I am already on the setting page to check what photo I have. Was he really taking some minutes to reply because he was checking my photo? I haven't even seen his.

Yes, that's me. Back when I went climbing with my father, some months ago, to Mont Blanc. I am facing the camera and looking at the other side of the mountain so my face is hidden but you can clearly see the amazing view from the top of the mountain.

Yes. Two months ago on Mont Blanc.

Kevin

Wow. That's amazing, I have never climbed.

His reply is so quick that I am thinking if he will be more active here than on tinder. And I am wondering if we will also have a more normal conversation here, where I am not waiting for 24h for an answer.

You should. It's relieving and it helps to lower stress.

I type and then I turn off the gas when the coffee is ready. I pour it into a big cup and I add some almond milk so it will be even longer and full of sugar, I need that. I take the bread and give it a bite while I am going back to my room.