box of heat

The cold dry weather of today is making my chest hurt when I breathe. It's probably because of the anxiety of going out in the city without Kevin being with me. I decided to meet Antonio and Giacomo to have lunch together but I didn't want to bring my bodyguard, since he will be the main subject of my conversation. But he knows I am out. He warned me he would've stayed around, so whatever feels wrong, I just need to text him.

While I wait for my friends, I adjust my cap making sure the brim covers my face enough. I've made a low ponytail, so the cap would've fit better and I covered everything with the hood of my black hoodie.

«Are we going on an undercover mission?» I hear my best friend's voice asking while he approaches me with Giacomo right next to him. «You should've told me our cress code for today.»

I lift my head, tossing him an annoyed look. «It's just to prevent,» I justify my action before smiling at Giacomo who looks amused by the situation. «I have no idea what could happen and actually, yes. I should've told you. They know who you are... oh god, they can kidnap you just to threaten me.» I flash him a worried gaze, holding back my laugh when I see his concerned face.

Giacomo pushes a hand over his mouth, pretending he also is shocked about my revelation. Antonio flashes a look at me and then at his boyfriend before reaching my eyes back again.

«Stop playing,» he murmurs wrapping his arms against his chest. «It's not funny.»

«Who said I am playing?»

Antonio turns his head over me, squeezing his body against Giacomo's. «They can really do that?»

I chuckle, followed by my best friend's boyfriend. «No,» I answer quickly. «I am just messing with you since you do it with me.»

«Don't,» he fends off, pushing out the bottom lip. «My words are jokes, yours can be honest.»

I roll my eyes, siding them. «Drama queen.»

All three of us walk to reach the subway so it would lead us to the Trattoria called Burla Giò. We didn't want to walk and I wanted to be surrounded by people instead of walking across some isolated street and risking anything. When we arrive at the location, Antonio is the one walking first since he booked with his name. Giacomo and I standing behind him and waiting for an old waiter to stroll us across the restaurant and head to our table not so far away from the entrance. The old man shifts his position aside to let us sit and then hands us three menus before leaving.

When I sit, I peer a look around. «Have you already been here?»

Antonio nods. «At one of our first dates,» Antonio confesses with a warm smile.

Giacomo watches the whole room before pointing his gaze at a table. «We were there,» he says chinning the spot and I turn my head in that direction. «Antonio was speaking as if there was no tomorrow. He just kept saying so many random things and I think it was his nervousness talking.»

I smile amused to hear that and Antonio put sulking on his face. «Don't blame me, I never liked boys I had a date with,» he says pushing down his shoulders. «You were the first one I actually liked and I didn't know what to do. I usually left.»

«I know,» Giacomo wraps up. «I meant, you were cute and looking at you now it's funny to compare the two of you.»

«It is really weird to picture him as cute and nervous together,» I comment wrinkling my nose. «Now he is just annoying, you know.»

Antonio tosses me a tissue and I dodge it with a laugh. When the writer comes back, we all order pasta and a bottle of red wine. At the half of it, I feel my head dizzy. My friends hadn't had a glass and I had half of the bottle. I am wondering why I am the only one drinking but somehow, Giacomo and Antonio just let me drink it and I start to speak about a lot of stuff, without even realising.