EPILOGUE

Kevin

Five years later

The dim sunset golden light is filtrating by the white curtain on my right. It's warm, and the heat brushes my shoulder while I dart my gaze around on my computer's desktop, searching for something specific. But the file is not where it was supposed to be. I frown, confused and groan before closing my laptop. I sink my hands in my hair and push my back against the chair. It's not the first time I've lost something important about the job, but I wonder how it keeps happening.

I sigh, stand up and roll around the desk before leaving the office. The surround is quiet, and the gentle wind blows through the opened windows. I march along the corridor leading to the kitchen, where the light is brighter. I reach the sink, where I fill a glass of water, and then I peer around, searching for her but being aware she is outside. It's her favourite spot since we moved here.

The little cottage where we live was built away from the centre city. It is placed in a private village, surrounded by nature and quietness. The smell is always fresh, and the chaos is too far to be heard. There are other houses, but they are spaced between them.

I drop the empty glass and walk outside, passing through the open door that overlooks the backyard. I quickly feel the grass under my barefoot, and I turn my head to the right, seeing her sitting on the little table she picked and placed there. In the corner of the gib tree carpet, just for her. On there, she works or reads. It's her focus spot, and she could stay there for hours. I am facing her back, covered by her long blonde hair and then I bow my gaze, meeting her crossed legs. One of them sneaks out of her long white skirt. I smile before slowly approaching her.

Lately, Enede has been diving into the book she is currently reading, but she refuses to tell me the title or what it's about. I tried to investigate it, but she's careful not to leave it unattended or talk about it.

Once I am behind her, I place my hands on her shoulder before holding back a laugh when she flinches a bit at the sudden movement. «So, what are you reading today?» I ask and crane my neck to peek at the book, but she closes it with a dry movement, preventing me from seeing anything.

«Nothing that needs your attention,» she blurts, lifting her head and meeting my eyes. Her blue irises fill mine, and my stomach reacts the same way it has for years. «I already told you it's private.»

I drop the grip on her shoulders and grab the chair to turn it in my direction. I lay down to be at her same head height. She tightens the book against her chest, and I chuckle. «I tried,» I assert before sighing. «I may have lost the file of the last case,» I tell her, narrowing my gaze.

Enede drops the book on the table, and I side-eye, but it has no cover, and the name is not appearing on it. Then she inches in my direction with a soft smile. «It's on my computer, smart-aleck. You used it because yours wasn't working. You're getting old, aren't you?»

«Hey, don't make fun of me,» I scold her. «I forgot, okay? But I am glad it's there.»

Enede laughs and opens her mouth to say something but a little voice calling me and a bark on my back halt both of us. It's a little soft scream I would recognise everywhere. My smile widens, and I stand up, turning my body towards the little girl running in my direction with her open arms. Behind her, a two-year German Shepard marches slowly, being her shadow.

«Daddy,» the little girl calls me again, and I pick her up when she is close enough.

I toss her in the sky before picking her again in my arms. She drops her head on my chest and shrinks in it, while I hug her, patting the dog's muzzle. «Where were you, little monkey?»