we won

The heart in my chest is going crazy, pumping in my ears like I have it in my head instead of my ribs. Nando is right in front of me, whining about something I can't even understand, and Joe's amused smile is making my rage grow. The gun is still pointed at my head, but the anger suddenly blows away the fear.

I drop on the floor the gun, making a noise echo in the empty room. «I am not going to shoot him,» I raise my voice, turning my head over to Joe, staring at him. «Come on. Kill me right now. Tell him to pull the trigger, to shoot me. I am not afraid of you or your threats,» I taunt him. «I'm sure you're aware of what happens if my life ends right now, right here.»

Joe's eyes are narrowed, and I catch Giovanni hesitating, darting his gaze from me to his boss, waiting quietly. I am not going to play his heartless game. I am not folding just because he thinks he is the number one and the most powerful man here. The more I look scared, the more he is amused by me. I have had enough of all his stupid show.

I tilt my head. «Did the rat eat your tongue?» I step in his direction, slapping away the gun pointed at my head. «Why don't you command him to shoot me? Why don't you tell him to take away the love of your son's life, mh? The girl who made him weak... or the girl who helped him stand up? Who am I?»

Then I finally hear them, the cars, they're not so far away. I listen to the tyres rolling on the asphalt. I know it's them. It's Daniele coming to finish all of this. My smile gets bigger while Joe's expression is stern. «Am I the one who woke him up and made him realise you have no right to treat him like your carpet? No, I am probably just a useless girl.» I flash a gaze to Giovanni, who now looks confused and scared. It's the exact reaction I was trying to get. «You abused your son for years. You put a fucking gun on a fourteen kid just for your pleasure,» I am yelling again now. Right in front of Joe, facing his aggravated glance. «And from that moment, you just kept making him do things he never wanted to, forcing him to act as you wanted him to. What about the other son, mh? The four years old boy who killed himself because of your arrogance and inaccuracy.»

Joe's face becomes pale, and I can smell the sweat falling from his forehead. Nando starts to laugh deeply, and I shot my head in his direction. «They got you, Boss. They got all of us.»

Heavy and fast steps fill the house, and Joe's gaze moves fast from me to Giovanni behind me and then back to me. Now he is full of rage, his eyes dark and his jaw clenched. «You little useless problem,» he rages out, fiercely marches in my direction, and squeezes my neck, making the air in my lungs stop coming. I gasp, trying to inhale as much air as I can, but it's hard, and my head is suddenly compressed. I reach for his hands, trying to jerk them away, but his strength is the double of mine. So I play with my free legs, kicking with my knee in his groin. He groans in pain but doesn't leave me.

«Do I shoot her?» Giovanni screams, totally in a panic now.

Nando is still laughing, and his voice is becoming deeper in my head. I yell to make me hear from Daniele and to try to let Joe leave me, but his grip gets stronger, and when I am sure to pass out, someone smashed the door, opening it.

«Drop the girl. Right now,» someone screams behind me. «Drop the girl, or I shoot.»

Joe darts his eyes from me to the people behind me, and after a second of hesitation, he leaves me, letting me fall on the cold ground, where I start to cough and inhale all the air I couldn't before. Someone grabs my body, and I jolt them away before realising is Daniele. I meet his eyes before letting him pick me up.

«Good job, blonde, good big job.»

I swing my head around, seeing the room filled with an army and Joe, Giovanni, Nando and the other three being handcuffed. The first one is glueing his eyes in mine, and I step over him. He can't do anything to me anymore, and when I'm close enough, I punch him in the mouth. The same side he did to Kevin. I smile when a little cut appears on the lip. «This is from him.»