the plan

The next morning, I set the alarm at the same time my dad usually wakes up so I could catch him before he leaves for work.

It's a grey morning but it doesn't change the active mood that pushes me out of the bed as soon as the alarm starts. I put my feet into my slippers and leave the room the quickest. I hear noises from the kitchen, and a good smell of coffee and when I enter the room, I see my dad still wearing the pyjama, facing the hob and yawing. As I jump next to him, he flicks and gives me a confused gaze.

«Morning,» I greet him with a big smile on my face. «How are you this morning?»

Brody runs towards me and jumps to draw my attention so I pick him up and pet his head while my father is still giving me a weird look. «What's going on?» He asks with an empty mug in his left hand and the coffee machine in the free one.

The dog snuggles his head against my chest while my smile fades away. «Why are you asking that?»

My dad is now pouring the coffee into his mug, with a smirk on his face. «Honey, this is probably the first time I see you waking up so early when you don't have to.»

I huff and shake my head while my face has an annoyed expression. «Next time I won't do it again.»

I walk towards the table as he follows me while laughing. I let Brody on the floor and he trundles away from us, reaching his bed and cuddling in it. My dad hands me another mug. «Coffee?»

I raise my head and nod meanwhile I take the mug. «Yes, please,» I reply and wait for him to fill my cup.

While he does that a little silence surrounds us because I still don't know how to ask him what I have on my mind. I need to find an excuse to not let him ask too many questions.

As he sits, his head turns up to face me. «You woke up so early just to have breakfast with me?» The way he asks that seems like he is hoping for a dry and firm 'yes' but we both know that's not that.

He perceives me as wanting something from him, so the better thing to do is to go directly to the point. «And to talk,» I admit with a hesitating smile. «I need to ask you something but you have to promise me you won't ask why.»

Once I say that, my father's face turns into a disagreeing expression and probably not happy about what I just asked him. He leans on the table to pick something to eat. «I don't like how this starts. I preferred you to sleep more.»

I also take something to eat as sandwich bread and the Nutella next to it. «I know but I never ask you anything. If I do it's because I really need it,» I explain before filling the spoon with chocolate. «And if you say no, I'll find another way.»

«Another way? What's going on? Please, can you go directly to the point of this conversation? I haven't even drunk my coffee yet and you're making my brain work.»

I nod and glance at him before closing the sandwich and waiting to bite it. «I need your investigator friend's contact,» I assert with a low voice and then I chew the bread I've bitten.

My dad shakes his head as soon as he heard what I've asked him. I knew that would have been the first reaction, but I hope he can change his mind. «Why the hell do you need his number?» He asks with an angry voice now and I totally understand that. I would have acted the same way if my only kid asks for a PI number. Whatever he is thinking of, is all true. I need that number because I am in danger but this is something he will never know.

Because I can't tell him, so I find another shortcut. «I need him for a University project,» I throw the bait.

«How come?»