in-sensitive

My leg is nervously twitching up and down as I look around the room to quickly scan it. A cloud of smoke disappeared once we entered the room, as Daniele opened the window to let it out. The desk in the middle of the room is covered with so many papers that I am wondering if those are new or old. There is a laptop on the side of the table, with an ashtray full of butts, and cigarettes consumed until the last inhale.

There is a little window behind the brown leather chair covered by Venetian blinds, half opened, letting a dim light from the sun come in. There are various posters with names, locations, photos, markers, and red wires connected between faces and names on walls. Then on another side of the wall, two big steel cabinets are closed apparently with a key. I wonder if inside that, there are all his cases and which of them are accomplished.

A warm hand covers my flicking leg, tightening it. I move my eyes on it before stopping my gaze on Kevin's face giving me one of his comfort smiles. I smile back at him, slowly feeling my body calm down.

«Sorry for the wait, kids.» Daniele appears from the front door with his name on the glass part of it. «I had an urgent call from my ex-wife telling me our daughter apparently fell from a bike and it's my fault.»

As he said the word 'ex-wife' it makes me think if his job took him so much in deep that brought his marriage to an end. But the way he says that makes him look like he really doesn't like her.

He enters the room with another cigarette on his lips, filling the room again with cloud smog. I try not to cough as he passes next to me, exhaling the smoke right in my face. I shake one of my hands to blow away the white cloud before pointing my eyes at him. «Is she fine?» I ask, worried about the kid.

Daniele gives me a quick look before nodding and sitting on his chair. «That's the third time she fell off that damn bike. She doesn't learn the lesson,» he comments and I wonder about whom is he talking about. «Anyway, let's head quickly on the situation.»

I shift my position on the seat, nervously looking at my hands and waiting for him to say anything that leads us to start to act.

Daniele turns on his laptop before pointing his eyes at Kevin, the main character. «Boy, you're the bait here. Everything will be around you, are you still sure about it?» He asks like he is afraid the plan drops down because of the doubts the one next to me could have, but Daniele has no idea how sure he is.

Kevin arches a brown on command. «I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to,» he comments with a sceptical gaze and his hand squeezes my thigh as he got nervous by Daniele's unbelief and I lean mine on him, so he can relax but this time my touch doesn't help.

«I don't want you to back off in the middle of everything,» the man speaks again, no flinching at Kevin's angry mood. «If you reconsider it, I will keep going and you'll follow your father in jail.»

«He won't back off,» I speak preceding Kevin, sensing he would say something with the wrong tone. «He was the one telling me to do it, so we do it.»

I made the plan, but the go was up to him. If Kevin refused, we wouldn't be here.

«Just wanted to be sure,» Daniele asserts before pointing his eyes at his laptop. «What you have to do is pretty easy, from the outside. You will go to your father and tell him you're ready to be like him, as Enede planned. You will do whatever it takes for him to believe you and when you think he has taken the bait you tell me.» He takes a break to inhale the rest of the cigarette before pushing it into the plastic bin. «You'll wear a bug. We need evidence to incriminate him and to know where we can find him to do the arrest.»

«Can't you arrest him at his house?» I ask, with my poor knowledge of how this works.

Daniele shifts his gaze from Kevin to me and shakes his head. «Mobster's houses are the cleanest because they know it's the first place where we search. We need to find him on the act,» he explains to me. «If Kevin will be good enough to make his father fall, he will tell him where the big shot will be. He surely wants his son to do it, to fully prove to him that he is worthy.»