the gala

In two weeks and a half, everything will have its end.

Joe told Kevin that the meeting will be the weekend after the Gala. He will have his party as a celebration before the end of the big war. Or at least this is what the man told his son. I am still fearing this Joe's mind. He is planning something. My chest tells me that every time I see Daniele's happy face. It seems like everything is going according to plan, but why do I feel like there is something off? Perhaps because, over time, I have learned not to believe the man's words. He can say what he wants but for me, there will always be two games. As Kevin told me a week ago, during our little conversation in the pizzeria, he is good with minds. He can gaslight without you noticing it. So I wonder if he is playing all of us or if we're doing a good job. This is just something we can know by the time.

I face myself against the mirror in front of me, facing a completely different person. The silk-green dress hugs my curves and falls to my feet, covering the white heels. I rub my hands gently against the fabric of the material, with my head tilted while I try to understand if I like how I look or if it seems too much out of my style. I know I don't often wear these things, but I couldn't wear jeans and a pullover for a Gala. And my father bought this for me, only for this day. He told me he loved the colour. That it would have matched the blonde in my hair. I laughed when he told me that.

But now, looking at myself through the mirror, I can see why he said that, and it's not that far away from matching my skin and hair colour. I have to admit: it fits me. The slit of the dress starts from half of my left tight and goes down until the end of the leg.

I turn my back slightly, to check behind. I see my bare skin reflexed in the mirror. The straps of the dress arrive until the end of my back, leaving it uncovered. I hold back a sigh, wondering what Kevin's reaction will be, both to my dress and me being at the gala, without him knowing it.

I move around my room, and my heels are the only sound I can hear. I pick up my purse, tossing my phone, wallet and house key inside. When I reach the door, I check the mirror once again before leaving the room. As I pass my father's room I hear him complaining about something. I step back, pooping my head in his room. When I get in, I see him struggling with the tie in front of his mirror, and I hold back a laugh, knowing that it was always Mom doing the knot for him.

«Lemme help you,» I say in a soft tone while picking up my phone. «We can watch a tutorial.»

He lets his arms fall against his body with a snort of frustration and then notes me. He spins around and faces me with a wide smile on his face and shiny eyes. «Look at you,» he murmurs raising his hands in my direction. I blush, smiling under my hair as I type on YouTube's 'tutorial for tie knot.' «You look flawless, sweetie. This dress is perfect.»

«Thank you, Dad,» I retort without facing him, and when I tap the first video that shows, I walk towards him. I lay the phone on the nightstand next to his bed, then put myself in front of him and repeat what the tutorial shows me. It's not hard. I thought it would take longer but in two minutes he is ready. «You also look amazing,» I compliment him before grabbing my phone and putting it back in my purse.

«Your mother would be speechless to see you right now,» he suddenly confesses, and my chest aches for the sentence. «She would love the woman you're.»

«Dad,» I whisper before sighing. «All right let's go before tears ruin Antonio's work.»

My best friend came in the afternoon to prepare me. To make sure I didn't leave the house with an unkempt look when I should give the feeling of being a rich sexy symbol -Antonio's words-. So he came, prepared my hair and did my make-up. I asked him for something soft and not flashy, and he did a good job by making my make-up look natural, almost like I am wearing nothing on my face.