12

The group had decided to go to fort benning (which made Shane happy for once) after the disaster that was the cdc. To save gas as there wasn't much to spare they would only be taking the rv,the car the Grimes family had ridden in previously and Daryl had swapped out the pickup for merles motorbike that previously was tucked away in the bed of the truck.

Cassie wasn't sure Daryl would want her riding with him anymore seeing as they'd have to be very close with her hugging his back. So instead she opted for sitting in the grimes family car and taking Carl on her lap so she could sit in his seat. Rick had insisted she ride with them instead of being cramped in the rv. She knew it was going to be cramped either way but choose to sit with her family.After siphoning up all the gas they could the group headed out on their way to fort benning.

As they drove Cassie was looking out her window resting her head against it. The only sound as they drove was the roar of Daryl's motorbike as he drove alongside them.

"I'm just thinking about our trip to the Grand Canyon with Carl" Lori smiled as Cassie and Rick started laughing at the memory.

"Where you there Aunt Cassie?" He asked not being able to remember the trip.

"Of course I was" Cassie chuckled as she turned him slightly on her lap.

"Oh well I don't remember that"

"No you wouldn't you were just an a baby" Lori told him.

"Yeah mini Carl who didn't talk" Cassie told him as she tickled his sides causing him to squirm.

"Auntie Cas stop I want to hear the rest of the story" Carl giggled causing Cassie to stop as Lori continued.

"Anyway in wouldn't matter as we never made it past Fort Worth"

"Nope you got sick. I never knew a baby could throw up so much" Rick laughed as Cassie and Lori joined him.

"Ick" Carl said disgusted at the thought.

"Yeah Ick. But when the doctor in Texas said you'd live then we turned around and drove home."

"We'll that sucks" Carl said with sad tone

"No it was still a great trip" Cassie assured him squeezing him into a hug from behind.

"The best" Rick grinned as he turned to see his sister and son laughing together.

"Can we go see it. The Grand Canyon. I'd like to."  Carl asked his parents and aunt looking at them with hope in his eyes.

"I'd like to too. Can we go?" Sophia asked looking to the adults in the car.

"We would never leave you and you mom behind. That's a promise" Cassie told her as the young girl leaned into her side Cassie putting one arm around her and the other around Carl. Rick saw her in the mirror of the car and couldn't help but think of how much of a great mom Cassie would make some day.

It was smooth sailing until they reached a highway that had a huge traffic jam on it. The rv was driven by Dale as he followed Daryl through the cars with the car Cassie and the others were in followed. All of a sudden the rv stopped a worrying amount of smoke began coming out from the engine as everyone got out (or off in Daryl's case) their vehicles to see the damage. Cassie grabbed her hat as they left to shield herself from the scorching sun.

"I said it. Didn't I say it? A thousand times dead in the water" Dale announced as he walked round to see the damage done.

"Problem Dale?"

"Just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of...." Dale trailed off as he looked around them. There was cars for miles filled with things they could possibly need. "Okay that was dumb"