16

Cassie shrugged on her brown flannel shirt as she walked over to where the others were collecting stones in a wheelbarrow for Otis's funeral. Glenn had brought her bag with him so she could change into a pair of brown shorts and a new clean white tank top as well as her flannel.

Her black converse crunched on the gravel as she made her way to the small clearing smiling at Glenn when she arrived and beginning to pick up some stones herself. After a few minutes of work and heaps of stones collected the familiar sound of a motorbike approaching caught Cassie's attention. She whipped her head up to try and see if she could see Daryl approaching and when she did finally see him Glenn saw the smile that was stretched on her face.

They walked over towards the porch to meet everyone. Rick and Lori walked out the house with t-dog who had gone to get them. Cassie looked over to the group coming over and her eyes met Daryl's. She had missed him and wanted nothing more to go over to him but didn't feel comfortable doing so in front of the group. She gave him a small smile and when he saw her smiling at him he couldn't help the butterflies that started in his stomach. What was this women doing to him? He nodded his head at her before Dale spoke.

"How is he?" Dale asked them.

"He'll pull through" Lori told him to which dale nodded.

"Yeah it's all thanks to Hershel and his people" Cassie added looking over to Hershel and giving him a small smile of thanks.

"And Shane. We'd have lost Carl if not for him" Rick then also added on all eyes turning to Shane.

The other half of the group walked forward (well everyone except for Daryl) and embraced their friends. Cassie decided she would go see Daryl later so as not to draw attention.

"How did it happen?" Dale asked them.

"A hunting accident. That's all just a stupid accident" Rick told him.

The group then separated some going back to the rv, some going to collect more rocks for Otis's funeral. Cassie saw Daryl walking away alone and when she realised no one was around she decided to run after him.

"Daryl!" She called as she jogged over causing him to turn and face her.

"What?" He asked unsure why she wanted to talk to him of all people. That's why he took it as such a surprise when she wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him close to her. He stumbled back and was unsure what to do for a moment before he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I'm happy to see you" she whispered in his ear which caused the butterflies in his stomach to reappear.

"It's just me" he grunted as he pulled away grasping the strap of his crossbow again.

"Exactly" she said giving him a smile before turning and walking back towards the house. He was so confused about all this his feelings for Cassie and wether or not she felt something for him. He shrugged it off though getting back to what he was doing.

A short while later it was time for Otis's funeral all the group attending as a sign of respect. Each member of the greene family put a rock onto the pile as Hershel spoke from the bible. Cassie found it nice how even in this crazy world they still managed to do such things as have a funeral and even Hershel had dressed up for the occasion.

Even though Cassie never knew Otis personally she knew he never meant to shoot Carl and that he did everything he could to try and fix it.

"Blessed be god. Father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis. For his span of years for his abundance of character. Otis who gave his life to save a child's now more than ever our most precious asset. We thank you God for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace. Shane will you speak for Otis?" Hershel said